Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1921 Census ??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post

PS the 1939 National Registration was not a census and does not come under the Census Act, 1920 & the Census (Confidentiality) Act 1991, that is why, there is a difference and why I could get it and the 1911 census released early.
    I was going to do the same for the 1921 census just after my success with the 1939 but there was no support from the Federation of Family History Societies,
    Family History Societies themselves or from individual family historians so I dropped the attempt.
    Thank you for what you did get released, but why no support for the 1921? Or maybe you would prefer not to say/speculate.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages (Latest version ~ site often being updated, so subject to frequent changes.)
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

Blog Entries
    PS the 1939 National Registration was not a census and does not come under the Census Act, 1920 & the Census (Confidentiality) Act 1991, that is why, there is a difference and why I could get it and the 1911 census released early.
    I was going to do the same for the 1921 census just after my success with the 1939 but there was no support from the Federation of Family History Societies,
    Family History Societies themselves or from individual family historians so I dropped the attempt.
    Thank you Guy, I should have realised about the 1939
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-01-19 at 10:59.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    Thank you for what you did get released, but why no support for the 1921? Or maybe you would prefer not to say/speculate. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/User1/AppData/Local/Temp/lu48244su4v.tmp/lu48244su53_tmp_6156623d3a9bb417.png[/IMG]
    From feedback I got from a number of committee members for family history societies it seems the thought that their relationship with the GRO & National Archives and indeed local archives would be tarnished if they got involved with such campaigns.

At the time there were still a number of old style archivists who resented change and others that feared (not without cause) that online records would lead to archives being downrated by local authorities.

Some of those same people objected to a new super archive being built to replace the leaky Wakefield Registry of Deeds and other local archives in one state of the art archive that would have rivalled the National Archives, because they wanted their archive in their town. They could not understand the advantages that grouping them together would bring and the fact that the local libraries would have access to the digitised records such an archive would have been able to produce.

In other words there were a number of reasons, some valid so no valid.

The big problem is with every day that passes that records are not digitised they are in danger of being lost forever, no matter how carefully they are kept.
    Digitising allows records to be dispersed which in turn increases the chance that at least one copy will survive even the worst catastrophe

Cheers
    Guy
    A forum is a place where ideas & views can be exchanged
    I read what others write & add my view or idea based on a lifetime of research
    Some people agree with me some disagree that is their prerogative & valued
    If I add a previous posting it is to remind forum users of the post I am replying to
    If I am addressing a particular person I will address them by name
    If not I am making a general comment to no one in particular.

Please don't drop the attempt to get it released early Guy!

Is it too late for you to reconsider?

Holly.

Holly .... everything I have seen on other sites seem to indicate that there is little interest.

BUT it is only 3 years to wait!
    My avatar is my mother and her mother, Scarborough ca 1925-1930.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Please don't drop the attempt to get it released early Guy!

Is it too late for you to reconsider?

Holly.
    Yes far to late Holly I was trying in about 2009/10, it is now out to tender and will be released virtually as soon as possible.
    Cheers
    Guy
    A forum is a place where ideas & views can be exchanged
    I read what others write & add my view or idea based on a lifetime of research
    Some people agree with me some disagree that is their prerogative & valued
    If I add a previous posting it is to remind forum users of the post I am replying to
    If I am addressing a particular person I will address them by name
    If not I am making a general comment to no one in particular.