FTM 2017 - newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2017 - newbie questions

Help please! Have just imported two trees into this new fangled gizmo and can’t see how on earth to close the first tree down and open the second without closing the programme down as well and choosing again.
    Also can’t see how to have both trees open in separate windows like I can in 2006.
    I know I am being thick but by George this is going to be a steep learning curve LOL
    PS I am not into syncing so have it disabled. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Hold the bus - I have found the option to open a new window under the drop down arrow top left of the screen.
    Still no idea how to properly close a tree down so it autosaves without closing the programme though.

Comment

If you go to file (top lhs) and chose close it will close only the tree and leave a blank tree for you to start a new one. Your tree will be saved on closing.
      If you choose to Exit in that same drop down box or X (top rhs) it will save and close the programme.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

When you open the program, it will open wit the last tree that you had open.
        Using the dropdown list at the top right of the program forces the program to close that tree and open the alternative that you selected from the list.

Unlike the 2006 version you refer to, you cannot have two trees 'open' at the same time. The program (FTM2017), is nothing like the old one you had in terms of how the programming in the background works, only one file can be open in the database at a time, therefore, when you open one tree, any other that you had open at that time is automatically closed to allow the new one to open.

The program works like a modern relational database, where, as you add items or make changes, they are automatically saved into the tree file that you have open and when you close the program, it automatically saves the tree you had open at that time, ready to reopen it when you launch the program another time.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you both. I now have it figured out in Windows version. I have also now got a 2nd hand MacBookPro and I didn't see the "close" or "exit" options there. I will have to investigate further in that version.

Another question please - I will be using both laptops for a while till I see if I can get used to the world of Mac. If I do a bit of work on my tree on the Mac and save a copy in Dropbox, can I open it up and carry on using the Windows laptop if I use the file as was stored in Dropbox or do the Mac and Windows versions of FTM 2017 not talk to one another at all?

Comment

Trevor, I have found that the Windows version does the same as the Mac version that I was playing with this afternoon. You can have two trees open at the same time and toggle between them. The screenshot shows how I did it with the places to click top left highlighted in black and the taskbar at the bottom in red. I'm not certain that the FTM icon on the bottom taskbar shows it clearly enough but if you hover over the icon while in the actual programme with two windows open, then you see a small snapshot of each window and you can click to bring up whichever one you want. Just the same as 2006. Am happy bunny :o
            Attached Files
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-12-18, 19:20.

Comment

Oops have posted twice, have tried to fix
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-12-18, 19:23.

Comment

???? dunno what's going on, I can't delete my post.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-12-18, 19:24.

Comment

Have deleted the duplicate for you.

Comment

That's what I suggested GL .
                    I often have two windows open at once.
                    In the tray at the bottom I can click on one and then the other to have both on screen at the same time. No need to toggle.
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-12-18, 21:08.
                    Kat

Comment

Capture 1.jpg
                      Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X