Detective needed to find lily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detective needed to find lily

Hi. Lily Johnston born Birmingham end of 1881, parents: Thomas Johnson, Caroline Fletcher.
    Siblings: Thomas Edward,Rose,Lottie,John William,Minnie Catherine, Emily, Samuel James.

In the 1901 census she was living with the family in Great Lister St. Birmingham, age 19, Pen Worker. Brother Thomas E. went to the U.S. then Canada then back to England in 1908, in 1915 he was in Toronto with wife Elizabeth.

The rest of the family lived and died in Birmingham, I have traced all of them except for Lily. I cannot find a single record of her after the 1901 census, seems to have disappeared completely.

There was a rumour in the family that she may have stabbed her husband/ boyfriend, I cannot find a marriage for her and could not see a record of her in the Birm. newspapers?

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Toby.

This one?? The wife could be a sister you haven’t mentioned as 1911 census has her parents having had 12 children: 11 living and 1 deceased.

28FADAFA-3EE4-4BC0-AC93-1901737F33B0.jpg
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-12-18, 01:07.

Comment

Hello G.L. looks like you have done it again! I missed giving the two eldest siblings, Daniel, who married Harriet Smith and Jane who married Harry Stanton. Lily,s sister, Rose, married Thomas Slaney, in the 1939 register there is Rose and Edith PHIPPS /Slaney born 1924.

I think that I looked for a Phipps/Slaney marriage but with the 1911 info you gave me I need to look at the Phipps family again. AlsoI dont think that I found a marriage for a Lily JOHNSON in Birm.
      So back to the drawing board, will let you know.
      Thanks a lot.
      Toby.

Comment

Hi G.L. I dont think that this is Lily, she is shown as sister in law in 1911. The wife is Annie Maria Johnson, there are no Annie Maria,s in the Johnston family. Cannot work out the relationship between Lily,s sister Rose and Edith Phipps in 1939.
        Cheers.
        Toby.

Comment

Sorry she was a wrong ‘un. That was the only one I found in 1911 in home area.

Comment

?Found a Lily Johnston married Leonard R. Hawes in Birm. in 1930, she would have been 48, possible I suppose, cant find them in 1939. Only death I could find was Lily Howes in 1962 age 80, birth date would be correct, 1882. Could not find a death for Leonard.

Comment

That one in 1911 appears to be this marriage - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Her father's name is given as Charles a bricklayer.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
                ?Found a Lily Johnston married Leonard R. Hawes in Birm. in 1930, she would have been 48, possible I suppose, cant find them in 1939. Only death I could find was Lily Howes in 1962 age 80, birth date would be correct, 1882. Could not find a death for Leonard.
                This is them in 1939 and gives Lily's birth date as 17th Nov 1905 - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ff=&ml_rpos=32
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie, I dont have an Ancestry sub but can check it at the library. Leonard was also born in 1905 so the wrong Lily.
                  "My" Lily has done a Houdini act and has completely disappeared, how can there be no record of her after 1901, perhaps changed her name? Dont think that we will ever find her

Toby.

Comment

just a snippet from a newspaper ,wonder if this is her The Despatch.jpg
                    from The Evening Despatch 27 Sep 1915
                    Last edited by Guest; 28-12-18, 23:07.

Comment

bit better snipLily Johnston.JPG

Comment

Hi Val, this could be the break through that I need! Is this a British newspaper or Canadian? Lily,s brother Thomas Edward was living in Toronto in 1915. Lily may have joined him.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Hi Val, I see that this is a British Newspaper, seems to me that the marriage was in Canada? I looked at Canada marriages on Familysearch but could not find anything, I cant check Ancestry, I dont have a sub.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Yes it is a British Newspaper, it says they have heard from Amos in Canada, and as it says he is going to marry a Lily Johnston on the 18 September , and they dont say the year, I would assume its the same year of the newspaper article?? ,looks like they married in Canada.

Comment

they did marry in Canada I just found Amos Russells army record this is part of it ,if you want the whole record let me know tomorrow
                              Lily Johnston M.jpg

Comment

he is Amos Cornelius Russell born 1889 Aston Warwickshire.

Comment

1921 Canada Census ,sorry dont have worldwide, somebody might

Amos Russell
                                  Spouse
                                  Lily Russell
                                  Birth
                                  England abt 1889
                                  Residence
                                  city Montreal (Maisonneuve) Quebec

Comment

Have hit another snag! Found them in the 1921 Can. census in Quebec, problem is that Lily was born 1881/1882, this Lily was born in 1892. Bother!

Comment

How annoying! Have looked birth indexes and there are a couple of Lily Johnson that are likely the wife of Amos so more confirmation that age in census is correct and she’s not yours. Also your Lily’s parents were established church marriage, St Augustine of Canterbury in Rosemont, Montreal is a Roman Catholic Church.

Comment

what a shame, will have another look

Comment

Working...
                                        X