Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prove/disprove a series of news articles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prove/disprove a series of news articles?

My great grandfather, Joseph Hay, was a master mariner, at the time he was promoted to Captain he was living around the Hartlepool area. I've found a number of shipping reports in the papers, together with census returns, marriage cert and birth certs for his children I have a good outline of his whereabouts over a period of about 20 years.

I'm trying to work out if the shipping reports relate to him, the name, area and time all match and give details of the vessels, departures and destinations. I had a few bits and pieces years ago but can't lay my hands on them now but from memory the vessel names are different. If these are for my ancestor they really put some meat on the bones but how do I go about proving them to be his or not? The ADM records on the TNA site don't give any results for his name but it's difficult to dismiss the name, date, location from the reports as a fluke.
    Attached Files
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I guess you need to see how many other Joseph Hays there are who could also fit the bill. If there are (or you suspect there are) more than one you'll have to collect all the items together and time-line them to see which details belong to which one. Ship arrivals with Captain's name are good and usually plentiful (as I find to my cost when NOT looking for them!! LOL)
    Anne

Comment

I found a photo of him in Hartlepool and researched the photographer, that gave me a pretty narrow date range which also tied in with the date he became a Master. There are several articles in that same period listing departure/arrival details and naming him as Captain for the voyage. I've also found quite a bit about two vessels from the articles and a story about the loss of one of them when my chap was Captain. Interesting but maybe pure chance that the lost vessel was called Jeannie, shortly after the loss he retired to Lincoln and a daughter born a couple of years later was named Jeannie.

Other articles matching name/area/date all relate to miners, short of coughing up for a sub to find anyone else by the name with the same occupation via a census I'm pretty stumped. I just wish I could find the stuff Phoenix found years ago at TNA.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
      X