Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutching at Straws!

Hi

I have virtually exhausted my current ideas, although I do have a trip planned to the Northampton Archives but would be grateful for your thoughts.

I have for some time been searching for Henry Cross born 1824 c in Northampton. This has been taken from census from 1851 to his death in 1897 (although I can find no proof he lived in Northampton) being in Marylebone, Middlesex in 1851 and then moved to Tunbridge Wells, Kent just before he died.

According to his marriage certificate from 1847 when he married Mary Ann Willard his occupation was boot closer. Northampton having a large population of shoe makers. His marriage certificate states his Father's name was William (deceased).

So, after searching high and low for his birth, and even in the 1841 census, I cannot find him. It was suggested to me that perhaps his Father was in the Army and therefore moved around and perhaps his birth is elsewhere. I have tried some searches on ancestry with just a child called Henry Cross with a father called William with no location unsuccessfully.

My question: is it likely that a child born around 1824 to a military parents might not be registered locally but could it be registered in Army records. As you can see clutching at straws!! He could also have lied about his fathers name and the fact that he was deceased. Who knows, but I'm not ready to let him go yet.

Any thoughts please would be most welcome.

Thank you

Gill
Working...
X