Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far fetched Ancestry hints

Anybody else getting these?

I have Victorian people getting hints for the seventeenth century, and Edwardians getting hints for the Georgian period as well as men with random surnames getting married to women with the surname the men were actually born with.

Ancestry's done this for years. Standard really. You'd think they'd tailor it to give decent results.

Comment

They've always done possible, now they are doing impossible!

Comment

I stopped looking at hints and tips anywhere after Genes Reunited Trump that they once gave me. I saved it on my computer because it was so impossible .......

Mary Smith
        Y.O.B: 1779
        Place: Launton, Oxfordshire
        Children: 4

with

Elizabeth Powell
        Y.O.B: 1685
        Place: Towcester, Northamptonshire
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Yes, I've had these for ages too. The ones with surnames of bride and groom changed round and 100 years before or after the required date are hilarious. Also particularly annoying are the ones where you can't see the place and date until you accept it, then have to cancel it because it is so way out.

A more recent annoyance is the search system which ignores any specifics you have entered. I search for a person specifying Yorkshire and get results in Hampshire. What's the point??? Am learning to click the exact button but that wasn't necessary previously. I'm finding I use FMP much more often these days. Sadly I really need both for the areas of coverage.
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            Yes, I've had these for ages too. The ones with surnames of bride and groom changed round and 100 years before or after the required date are hilarious. Also particularly annoying are the ones where you can't see the place and date until you accept it, then have to cancel it because it is so way out.

A more recent annoyance is the search system which ignores any specifics you have entered. I search for a person specifying Yorkshire and get results in Hampshire. What's the point??? Am learning to click the exact button but that wasn't necessary previously. I'm finding I use FMP much more often these days. Sadly I really need both for the areas of coverage.
            Anne
            I often find that unticking the exact matches green button works best ... it's all quite bonkers these days. I also need/use both.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Very occasionally I find hints are correct but so many people researching the same trees as myself have taken up so many impossible and totally wrong hints that has totally distorted the tree for any further research by anybody! I have given up contacting people as few want to admit they could be wrong so it will just get worse!! FMP has better hints though I have noticed lately they also can be way off the mark.

Janet

Comment

Working...
              X