Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christening help

Hello,

My great-great-grandma, Mary Ann Sands, was born on the 8th of December 1848 at 24 Great Arthur Street, St. Luke’s, Middlesex. Her parents were William Sands and Mary Thompson, who had married at St. James’ Church in Clerkenwell on the 25th of January 1837. Can anyone find a christening for Mary Ann at the local church, St. Luke’s Finsbury? It may seem a trivial detail considering I have her d.o.b. but I love piecing together all the individual events in lives

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

She was baptised 19 January 1849 at St Mary Moorfields, Moorfields, in the Diocese of Westminster, according to the England Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms records on FMP ..... it therefore looks as though St Mary Moorfields was Catholic.

Parents William Sands and Mary Thompson
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

In the same records are the following children ...........

Charlotte Sands born 18 Sep 1842; baptised 16 Oct 1842, St Mary Moorfields. Parents William Sands and Mary Thompson

Henry Sands born 04 Jul 1845; baptised 16 Jul 1845, St Mary Moorfields. Parents William Sands and Mary Thompson

The 3 children posted are the only ones showing up on FMP
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Wow! Thanks! That also might mean that her father was of Irish Catholic origin too, judging by his surname!

His name was William Sands, claiming to be born in Manchester around 1817. I’ve never found him :(
        Last edited by AdamMcGregor; 02-12-18, 10:15.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
          Wow! Thanks! That also might mean that her father was of Irish Catholic origin too, judging by his surname!

His name was William Sands, claiming to be born in Manchester around 1817. I’ve never found him :(
          He also had a brother named John in Manchester who died before 1841, having married a lady named Margaret, and they had a son named Edward (b. ca. 1838) and a daughter named Charlotte (b. ca. 1835) if this is of any help
          Last edited by AdamMcGregor; 02-12-18, 10:40.

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

This looks to be his brother John Sands. Also a picture frame maker and also living in St. Luke’s in 1851. Born in Manchester around 1822, which would make him a younger brother of William who was born around 1817. Can anyone find two (probably) Catholic christenings in Manchester for two Sands brothers around these times? Father is Thomas Sands according to John’s second marriage:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJVW-8X3

Thanks,

Adam
            Last edited by AdamMcGregor; 02-12-18, 17:06.

Comment

Never mind - it can’t. John says he is a bachelor and would have been 13 for the birth of my William’s niece Charlotte (daughter of John).

Comment

Working...
              X