Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A wonderful resource, which has reduced me to tears ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wonderful resource, which has reduced me to tears ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/illust...ce=govdelivery photos of soldiers from the North East who had been injured or had died in the first world war, from the Illustrated Chronicle, released by Newcastle libraries. (To search the resource, click on the magnifying glass above the top right picture and then enter a name in the search box.)

After decades of fruitless contacts with other researchers, this afternoon I finally explored this site again and discovered an old newspaper image of my father's older half-brother. I am in bits and bawling like a baby, but with tears of joy. The image is very pixilated, but there is a strong family likeness between Irish granny, the dead WW1 soldier, my father, my sailor cousin lost in WW2 and me. Those Irish genes were very strong!
    I cannot describe how euphoric I'm feeling right now. Even better than the day some years ago when I finally discovered the same soldier's partial remaining army service record misfiled and filmed in amongst the paperwork of another soldier. (That was truly a falling off the chair moment.)
    For any newbies to family history, my message has always been NEVER give up. Try, try, try again - you just never know when ANY internet resource might be updated, revamped or added to.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-12-18, 16:21.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Oh, I agree, never give up and never be surprised at the most unexpected sources of information.

I - and about 50 other researchers - had been looking for a man who disappeared in the early 1800s, leaving behind a young wife and two small children. The deserted wife was eventually given permission by the church to remarry. We had looked everywhere, but not a trace and quite frankly, with such a common name, we had given up.

One day in the library I picked up a newly published book in honour of Nelson. I have no interest in Nelson, but it had some pretty pictures and I took it home, where I fell off my sofa in astonishment! There on the page showing the surgeon's log was Nelson having his arm amputated and the next man was MY James Holden having his arm amputated too! The dates fitted and more investigation proved that he had been press ganged on his way home. He was invalided out at Tenerife and eventually died there.

Never ever in a million years of researching would I have found this. I always say, he came and found me!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/illust...ce=govdelivery photos of soldiers from the North East who had been injured or had died in the first world war, from the Illustrated Chronicle, released by Newcastle libraries. (To search the resource, click on the magnifying glass above the top right picture and then enter a name in the search box.)

After decades of fruitless contacts with other researchers, this afternoon I finally explored this site again and discovered an old newspaper image of my father's older half-brother. I am in bits and bawling like a baby, but with tears of joy. The image is very pixilated, but there is a strong family likeness between Irish granny, the dead WW1 soldier, my father, my sailor cousin lost in WW2 and me. Those Irish genes were very strong!
      I cannot describe how euphoric I'm feeling right now. Even better than the day some years ago when I finally discovered the same soldier's partial remaining army service record misfiled and filmed in amongst the paperwork of another soldier. (That was truly a falling off the chair moment.)
      For any newbies to family history, my message has always been NEVER give up. Try, try, try again - you just never know when ANY internet resource might be updated, revamped or added to.

Jay
      That ‘s brilliant news. I am desperately waiting for the Burslem Sentinel to be digitised in the hope of finding my paternal Gran’s only brother who was gassed but survived till 1922. My Dad was named after him and I have his prayer book.

Comment

what amazing stories, I must try harder.

Comment

Wonderful
          Joy

Comment

Working...
          X