No announcement yet.

Marriage info of James Coulson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re. the 1861 Census. FMP have mistranscribed Elizabeth as Duckson.

In fact, it says Elizabeth Duck and then the surname has got squished up.
    So Duckinson was a red herring.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 30-11-18, 17:36.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth's baptism:

Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

On the 1871 Census with their parents are Harriet and Jane. Jane is 7.

COULSON, JANE SMITH SMITH
        GRO Reference: 1863 S Quarter in GUISBROUGH Volume 09D Page 433

Name: Jane Coulson
        Residence Place:
        Christening Date: 31 Dec 1863
        Christening Date (Original): 31 DEC 1863
        Christening Place: COATHAM,YORK,ENGLAND
        Father's Name: James Coulson
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

this were they got the Duckinson from , I think .Elizabeth Duckinson in household of James Coulson, _England and Wales Census, 1861_ — FamilySe.pdf

Comment

Hi Elizabeth
            Thanks for your help , so i think we can say that Smith is Elizabeth’s surname , I’ve just looked at another record , and it say's , Coatham, East, Kirkleatham, Yorkshire (West Riding), England , well we all know that Coatham , Kirkleatham is in fact in the North Riding of Yorkshire , I really can't believe how many mistakes there is in the transcripts , it has put a new light on my searches now , that what is written is not necessary correct .
            Cheers
            Spike

Comment

I'm pleased to have helped, Spike.

It's always best to try to decipher the censuses yourself in the event of mistranscriptions.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Yeh , you have to look outside the box at every piece of info you get , I mean most of the transcribers do it voluntary so I am not bashing them .
                I will just have to go a bit more slowly and double check before I put it into my Family Tree Maker .

cheers
                Spike

Comment

Spike, when looking at censuses I don't even bother to look at the transcription unless it is really tricky to read (and then its only to get an idea of what the transcriber thought). Save yourself time by going straight for the image every time!
                  Anne
                  Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 30-11-18, 21:55.

Comment

Census transcribers are not volunteers for Ancestry and FMP. The work was often done by prisoners, who did not have English as their first language.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X