Missing Tancock in South Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
    Ach, drat it! Never mind, it was good fun trying. ? It’s amazing what could be found easily from Elaine’s initial clue.
    It doesn't mean to say they weren't related though in some way. It's only a distance of about 5 miles as the crow flies and 7.2 miles by road.

Edit: Elsie Maud Tancock was living at 32 Eigen Crescent , Swansea C.B., Glamorganshire, Wales - 1939 register.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 14-11-18, 09:55.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      There was also this one
      Elsie Maud Tancock 1892 - 1972 reg Swansea Glamorganshire

You might like to do a bit of cross referencing to see if you can discover a male Tancock marrying an Elsie M. I found Harry J Tancock marrying Elsie M Pike in 1924, Bristol reg dist.
      There was an Elsie Maud Pike birth reg Frome Somerset 1891. Possibly 2 sons born Bristol area in the 1920's.

Jay
      That’s interesting. The TANCOCK family I found in Middlesex in 1939 and 1911 also originated in Somerset. I bet my wrong lot are somehow connected to the right lot.

Comment

Wow, you have covered some ground.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There’s this one married and right age to fit the death entry.
          Elsie M TANCOCK at 32 Eigen Crescent, Swansea C.B., Glamornganshire but the head of household is Sidney W not Harry J.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 14-11-18, 10:10.

Comment

I think we can rule out the Harry J TANCOCK and spouse Elsie M PIKE as they are still in Bristol in 1939. 9 John Carrs Terrace, Bristol. Harry has been mistranscribed as Harry G instead of J. Elsie changed her name in 1947 to WOOD. Perhaps Harry died as there seems to be a big age gap between them. Image isn’t too sharp unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              There’s this one married and right age to fit the death entry.
              Elsie M TANCOCK at 32 Eigen Crescent, Swansea C.B., Glamornganshire but the head of household is Sidney W not Harry J.
              That would perhaps be Elsie M Lansley who married Sidney Q2 1918 - Pewsey reg dist in Wiltshire.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 14-11-18, 11:37.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you for all the time you seem to have spent trying to identify my Mrs Tancock. Elaine's link to the Rhondda valley/US army story involves a lady with the name Tancock who is is Birmingham and doesn’t go to the valley herself.
                i have investigated the deaths in the 1960/70s before but nothing I can establish from those gives me any link I recognise to my missing lady. She may be one of the deaths in the neighbouring area having moved into some sort of nursing home in her final months/years. I am not sure obtaining the death certificates will help as they probably won’t mention any address but the one she died in (on the basis she was a resident in any such nursing home) and even if did I get the name of her husband it still leaves me with no Tancock in either of the villages in the 1939 register or the post war years electoral registers! I know she existed, I met her, slept in her house etc. That is the biggest puzzle of all.
                I sincerely thank you all for your time and effort but I am coming close to thinking I won’t solve this any time soon.

Comment

There doesn’t seem to be any way of editing posts on here but I wanted to add that I may in the end decide to send for the death certificates in case she was in hospital at death and a home address is given. As deaths are available on PDF currently from the GRO it won’t be quite so expensive, and I could just be lucky and hit the target on the first or second try. Thanks again.

Comment

You can edit your posts within ten minutes of posting by clicking on Edit post.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Susanc241 View Post
                      There doesn’t seem to be any way of editing posts on here but I wanted to add that I may in the end decide to send for the death certificates in case she was in hospital at death and a home address is given. As deaths are available on PDF currently from the GRO it won’t be quite so expensive, and I could just be lucky and hit the target on the first or second try. Thanks again.
                      Do bear in mind that the address given will be where she died and therefore not her home address if she died in hospital. The address of the informant could be that of a relative, a friend or a hospital employee for example ie whoever was there at her death.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X