interesting site.WWI deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting site.WWI deaths

A First World War legacy project bringing together data sources such as IWM's Lives of the First World War and Commonwealth War Graves records

Just came across this site.You can search a towns name and it gives the deaths in WWI from that area...

Thank you for that link.
    My son was telling me yesterday that today in a nearby town, wreaths are to be placed on the doors, where family members were lost.
    On looking at the map, I see next door neighbours both lost sons of 17 years old.
    Tragic.

Comment

The site is currently having difficulties because of heavy use.

One of our local villages has a short biography of soldiers outside their former houses.

Comment

found it quite shocking actually. Sort of brought it home to me as there were 2 brothers in the street I live in now, and the son in a house next door to where I have lived before.

Comment

In case you've missed seeing this tribute:

Slightly different, and I think more effective, pictures doing the rounds on Facebook:

Simply the most awesome piece of art work I've ever experienced. The ghosts of soldiers silently standing over their graves in the St John's Churchyard,...
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

How many men died in WW1 and the effect on a community was brought home to me many years ago when we driving around the Okanagan region of BC and came across a place called Walhachin. It was mentioned in a guide book as a ghost town that had flourished in the early years of the 20th century as an agricultural community inhabited by rather wealthy English families and single men attracted by the offer of cheap land in 1910. They built good houses, a large hotel, and built at least one 19 km long flume to bring water from the mountains above to irrigation ditches for the orchards they were planting. There were at least 300 people living there by 1914.

The community collapsed after WW1 as almost all the men immediately returned to England on the announcement of war and volunteered, leaving women and a children and a few elderly or infirm men to take care of the orchards and especially of the flumes.

Most of the men died in the war, and the community collapsed by 1922, leaving only the remnants of orchards and the flumes behind. Many of the houses were moved to other nearby communities as they needed housing, although there are still a few inhabited houses there now, with a population of about 30.

There has been quite a lot written about this community ..........

Premier Listings for Walhachin Originally established before the First World War as a farming community for British settlers, the historic community of Walhachin sits south of the Thompson River in the High Country of BC. The community came to life when American entrepreneur Charles Barnes convinced the British Columbia Development Association, a London based investment syndicate
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Guy ............

The Student Opera Programme at the University of British Columbia (UBC) has just presented a new opera "Silent Night' over 4 nights (November 3,4,8 and 9). It was written in 2011, based on a movie called Joyeux Noel, first presented by the Minnesota Opera in November 2011, and won a Pullitzer Prize in Music in 2012.

It recounts the events of the first Christmas Eve of WWI when fighting stopped and the English, Germans and French soldiers met in the middle of the battlefield to celebrate Christmas. Four Canadian veterans also took part in the production, 1 in a named role and 3 in the chorus. Their presence was acknowledged at the end of the production.

There was a standing ovation at the end of each show.

It has been presented a number of times in both the US and Canada, but only once in the UK OR Europe, and that was at Wexford, Ireland.

It maybe should be seen more often over there.

UBC went one step further, and presented a Silent Night Symposium in association with the opera during this past week. The intent of the symposium and opera was to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the end of WW1 AND to improve knowledge of the Veterans' Transition Network, which works with veterans to cope with the symptoms of operational stress injuries plus transition successfully into civilian life.

This site explains much more fully the opera and the topics covered in the symposium (just scroll down for the symposium) ..........

I thought you might be interested in this, especially the symposium, in view of your comments above.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Every year, Canada names a Silver Cross Mother whose child died during service in the Canadian Forces and she is honoured at the Remembrance Day Ceremony at the National Cenotaph in Ottawa.

Today's Silver Cross Mother, who is being honoured at almost the exact moment that I am writing this, is the mother of a son who committed suicide about 5 years after he returned from Afghanistan.

May all such members be honoured for their service, no matter which war nor which country.

Another tradition in Ottawa is that the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is in the open, close to the National Ceremony and everyone attending or watching the ceremony leaves their poppy on the tomb afterwards ........ it is completely covered with a thick blanket of poppies by the end of the day.

Comment

Sylvia,

You may be interested to learn that Canadian soldiers were honoured again yesterday at Shorncliffe Military Cemetery near Folkestone. A flame had been brought over from Mons earlier in the day, after a ceremony there and was used to light lanterns, which were placed on the graves of all those who died as a result of World War 1.
                  Over 100 Canadians are buried there and people from other nations too, including Chinese Labour Corps.
                  It is important for youngsters to learn and remember that war touched so many lands.

Far away from any street lighting, it was quite moving to see the rows of flickering flames.
                  Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 12-11-18, 06:48.

Comment

Gwyn ........ thank you for that. It must have been very moving to see that.

Comment

Working...
                    X