Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2017 on Mac and PC

I have changed from PC to Mac - no major problems with software but:
    My trees are saved on a network drive so I can access and backup from either computer.
    These were all created on a PC and I have just opened on the Mac. Basic tree appears OK but media links seem broken and the colour coding takes 24 hours to load! MacKiev have replicated the second of these and say they will look at for next update.
    Are the FTM files for Mac and PC the same or should I have done some conversion first?

No idea Terry but I will be keeping an eye on this post for answers as I too am thinking of a change of laptop to a Mac and would like to know the pitfalls re: FTM.

Comment

I have moved your thread to the Family Tree Software section Terry as I thought you might get more help here.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ftm 2017

Thanks Chrissy. I hadn't seen the FTM section.

Comment

Hi all. Anyone else using FTM 2017 on new Mac with Mojave OS?
          Apart from my problems with the media and colour coding I now find it will not do a manual back up or compact.
          Auto backup on closing seems to be working but not the manual one!
          Maybe I have an odd set up with the files on a NAS external network drive, but that should in theory make no difference - all linked on a Gigabyte network.
          Anyone having similar problems or any help?
          Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by terrygarland87 View Post
            Hi all. Anyone else using FTM 2017 on new Mac with Mojave OS?
            Apart from my problems with the media and colour coding I now find it will not do a manual back up or compact.
            Auto backup on closing seems to be working but not the manual one!
            Maybe I have an odd set up with the files on a NAS external network drive, but that should in theory make no difference - all linked on a Gigabyte network.
            Anyone having similar problems or any help?
            Terry.
            Following

Comment

Galloway Lass
              I have got a temporary solution on my system of putting the trees on the Mac - relying on the Ancestry on line versions for back up and avoiding transferring data from the NAS drive. All works well on Mac Mojave although a bit sower than the previous PC version I was running. Have not found any pitfalls with current arrangement.
              Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry. I have just bought a used 2012 MacbookPro. Will get peace tomorrow to get going exploring it. I don’t have a NAS drive to worry about. I have got a WDPassport Ultra USB drive that has all my previous backups on it but it’s formatted for NTFS. The chap I bought the Mac from says I can transfer all the data off it and reformat the Ultra to a version that supports both Windows and Mac files then I can put the lot on to it. I will have to look more into that as he was not sure of the exact format type. I only ever back up data and not my programmes. I am going to keep the Windows laptop for a good while in case I really do not like the world of Mac.
                Do you know what the format name the chap was talking about.
                Have you seen my post about FTM for Mac prices?
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-12-18, 12:49.

Comment

UPDATE have found the format type. It’s called exFAT. Still looking for answers to other things as in my prices post. Hoping you can shed some light

Comment

Working...
                  X