Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By a Process of Elimination??

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone can sort of guide me a little bit.

I have spent months and months trying to trace a record of the birth and parentage of my Great Gran Estelle Crawford as was. Born "at sea" approx 1882 but the only record I ever found of that was a passing mention in the 1911 military census return from India. Her father was Frederick Robert Crawford, an Apothecar with the East India Company who went by the name of Fred Crawford, Robert Crawford, Fred Robert or FR, depending on what alias he felt like using at the time. My research and records via FIBIS and other places have led me to conclude they are one and the same person.

This site helped me find details of him before and his will. He passed away in 1885 at which point he was married to Louisa Fox who had previously been married to Emmanuel Carvalho.

(pause for breath as it gets complicated).

Emmanuel Carvalho was a work colleague of Fred's and was the father of Amelia Carvalho who Fred married in 1879. Amelia was a widow who had previously been married to George Phillips.
    Amelia herself died in 1884. Fred married Louisa Fox very soon after her death ( I think she may have just been cold by this point but not necessarily buried!) Louisa became mother to Fred's children, none of which she was the Mother of. Fred/Robert was married 4 times in total before he died in 1885. Stella was only half siblings to definitely 2 of these children ( Lionel and Kate Blanche) and I am not sure about Lilian Grace.

Anyway, I have always suspected that Amelia Carvalho was the mother of Estella (Stella) and therefore my 2 x Great grand mother but I have never found definite proof as I can't find any records. Amelia was of Portugese descent through Emmanuel and there is also a possibility that there may have been some native Indian ancestry in the mix. I have managed to trace back male Carvalho's back in India into the 1700's but records of females are sketchy to say the least.

Because of this, I went down the DNA cousin tracing route to see if I could get any luck that way.

My DNA states I have a small % Portugese and also a small % Indian.

I am a 4th-6th cousin match (JH) to someone who in their tree shows they are a direct descendant of Alfred Carvalho, Amelia's brother. Still not being entirely convinced, I looked to see if we had any other matches in common, and there is another cousin (PH) with a private tree who I am estimated 4th cousins with that we both share DNA with. So that is 3 females with a DNA match estimating we are 4th cousins. I have messaged both of these ladies without reply and there is nothing I can do about that. Still hunting for answers and trying to research and without an idea of how PH is connected, I check to see who else she is a match to and the only other match we have in common is to a first cousin D.

Therefore ( yes, I know this is long winded) by a process of elimination, would I be correct in assuming via the DNA that a) Amelia Carvalho is the most likely suspect to being my 2 x G Gran and b) that PH, having the DNA link to myself, JH and my first cousin D would be descended from the same branch of the family tree?

What else could I research to try and prove/disprove?

Thank you in advance. (and apologies for the length of the post).

For reference and to save duplication - this is the other thread on this family -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

That was my original thread where I asked for help in finding details about Stella. The help I got then in the replies and by further research has led to where I am today. I acknowledge that in my post today.
      Is there any way my latest post can be tacked on to that thread or merged if that is what the admin/mods prefer?
      Thanks.

Comment

I would definitely say you are a descendant of the carvalho family. Is there room for a sister of amelia to be your ancestor? Or are you pretty sure you have all the marriages and children?

Comment

There is plenty of room for more siblings. I am not convinced I have everything. I have Elizabeth, Matthew , Mathilda, Joseph, Alfred, William, Arabella and Edith so far. Some of these are half siblings though and I am trying to work out who the Mother is. The ones born after 1860, there is every chance that Louisa Fox was their mother as she married Emmanuel in that year aged only 14! Amelia was only a year younger than Louisa
          Records have been difficult to find and keep tabs of so it is all a little confusing. I also think there may have been a son Emmanuel Anthony also which adds further confusion to the records.
          I think I probably am descended from the Carvalho's. Another clue I found over the weekend was actually in my Great Grandfather's military records. He was out in India for 18 years and married Stella. Her name as his NOK is listed as Estella Phillips-Crawford (Amelia was Phillips by her first marriage).
          I will keep looking but as I doubt I am ever going to get a cast iron proof, I may just have to settle for what I have.

Comment

Working...
          X