Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Military Record

Hi.

I’m Michael Walter Stevens and I’m trying to discover more about my father’s military record. I never knew my father. I was born in 1942.

On my birth certificate, the information is as follows:

Father
    Cecil Walter Stevens.
    Seageant: 170194. Royal Army Service Corps.

I have been told that a person’s service number is unique. However I have not been able to find that service number applicable to anyone.

Any help will be gratefully received.

This is a related thread:

Comment

The MOD can supply a military record

Comment

There are many military records on FMP and Anc*y from a quick search just using "C W Stevens" - have you looked at and ruled out all of these?

Comment

Hello Mike,
          Nice to hear from you again. Did you ever find any other living relatives from all the info you had last time? Would love to know how you got on.

Very little WW2 Army Service Personnel online but you can apply for your father's record as you are next of kin - costs £30

This takes you direct to the info you need:

Two forms to fill in.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hello Bertie

Yes, That was my earlier attempt to find out about my family. I achieved that quite satisfactorily. Howver, I wanted to find out about my father's military career. I had what I thougt was a Service Number and his regiment but drew a blank following that.

Thanks for your reply

Mike

M

Comment

Yes, I followed all of these with no results.

Mike

Comment

Jill

Thanks for that. I have the forms and will complete them later today.

Mike

Comment

Hi Katarzyna

Its good to hear from you again.

Yes, I have found quite a great deal about my family, including a new half-sister. I'm of out for most of the day today, Wednesday, but I'll let you know what I fould later.

Thanks for your very significant help

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    Hello Mike,
                    Nice to hear from you again. Did you ever find any other living relatives from all the info you had last time? Would love to know how you got on.

Very little WW2 Army Service Personnel online but you can apply for your father's record as you are next of kin - costs £30

This takes you direct to the info you need:

Two forms to fill in.
                    Hi Katarzyna

Things have moved along quite satisfactorily, except for a massive sad occurrence, my wife of 51 years passed away in June after a very painful illness lasting 2 years.

She told me to continue and expand on what I was doing before her illness and that included genealogy (and golf).

I attended an amateur family history class and eventually was asked to help with the teaching, a very limited volunteer role. I learned a great deal from yourself and others on the Forum and those in the class thought I knew more than they did so I agreed to help.

Recently, one of the class asked if I could find out about Wills and Probate, so I did.

I thought I’d have a go with a real person so I chose my FATHER, him of 2 surnames etc. Cecil Walter Stevens (or Wilson).

I did the research and acquired his Will. My real mother’s name was KATHLEEN. My father left her when I was born, moved to Sheffield and re-married another KATHLEEN.

In his will, he left his estate to her, but in the event of her death to his DAUGHTER, L***** F****** C*****. So I have another half-sister that I knew nothing about. (I already knew a half-sister who my mother had following my birth, with another man).

So now I have two half-sisters. (Does that make one whole sister? I jest)

The Will was dated in 1979 and was when my father died.

There was an address on the Will for L*****. I wrote to that address and received a reply from the current occupant saying that he had been at that address since 1983 and he had never heard of a L****. Her name on the Will is L**** F****** C*****, presumably her married name?.

Interestingly my father didn’t leave his estate to his first born son, B***** who he took with him to Sheffield.

Again, good to hear from you. Quite coincidentally I’m about the leave home to go to the family history course where I will be talking briefly about the Family Tree Forum. You’ll get a mention!

Mike
                    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 24-10-18, 11:45. Reason: names of living people removed

Comment

Mike I have had to remove some names living people in line with the terms & conditions if this forum, anyone who would like to assist with your search for a living relative can pm you.

Comment

Sorry Jill. I had forgotton about that restriction.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X