Pantecine show 1865

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantecine show 1865

I came across this in a school logbook, 13 Dec 1865: "Children called upon to choose their own Entertainment on the 28th, majority for the Pantecine Show." It was for the annual Christmas treat.

Google, OED and old newspapers were no help, I'm guessing it's some form of "magic lantern" show. Can anyone enlighten me further?

Perhaps it's just what they called a pantomime? Panto scene?

(P.S. I had forgotten that there are pictures of me at the bottom of the page - considerably younger .... )
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The only references that come up Jill appear to be in Spanish and seem to refer to film shows. It sounds more like a Pantomime they are talking about though doesn't it.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

SNAP Caroline
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thankyou ladies. I shall have to look at other years' entries for the Christmas period to try to find out what form the Christmas treat took and whether it was at the school or another place. I know they used to go by rail to Sydenham to the Crystal Palace in the summer so they might well have gone to a theatrical performance.

Comment

Working...
          X