wifes grandad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wifes grandad

Hiya to all ,I hope that some one is able to help me with a search, my wife has a set of dog tags with a serial number on (1782425 ) and the name on says T Aspin which is my wife's dad,he was born in 1905 and the tags look like ww1also his father James Henry Aspin born 1878,i have not been able to find a T Aspin with that serial number,i would really like to sort out there records if anyone could help me

Thank you all so much

Ron

First name(s) James H
    Last name Aspin
    Year 1914-20
    Service number 156065
    Rank Gunner
    Regiment Royal Garrison Artillery
    Service record Soldier Number: 156065, Rank: Gunner, Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery

First name(s) Thomas
    Last name Aspin
    Age -
    Birth year -
    Birth place -
    Attestation year 1941
    Service number 1782425
    Former service number -
    Record set Royal Artillery Attestations
    Last edited by Janet H.; 20-10-18, 19:47.

Comment

Is this your James H Aspin? Service record is on
      Ancestry. Royal Garrison Artillery. Reg No 156065

Full name James ?Haworth Aspin, Schoolmaster. Living at the time of joining 149 Leamington Road, Blackburn Wife Adeline, son John.

There is also a Medal Card.

There is a record on FMP for Thomas Aspin Reg No 1782425

Royal Artillery Attestations
      Attested 1941

Disc 30/08/43
      Para 390(XVI) KR 40

No date or place of birth given

Vera

Comment

James H Aspin married Adeline L Gregson, 3rd quarter 1913 at Blackburn.

Comment

James Haworth Aspin of 37 Florence Street, Blackburn died 06/02/1940. Probate to Mary Ann Aspin (widow).

Comment

James Haworth Aspin born 05/04/1870. Baptised 15/05/1870 at St Michael and All Angels, Blackburn. Son of Elizabeth Aspin living at Cedar Street.

Comment

Originally posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
              James Haworth Aspin of 37 Florence Street, Blackburn died 06/02/1940. Probate to Mary Ann Aspin (widow).
              This marriage was on 20/02/1896 at St Michaels and All Angels, to Mary Ann Hargreaves.
              Resided at 5 Cedar Street.
              Fathers name Henry Aspin.

Comment

I think that there are two different people being talked about here. Some more work will need to take place to work out which one is the correct one.

Comment

Gunner 156065 James H Aspin, Royal Garrison Artillery

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Comment

The only T Aspin I can find born in 1905 that has a father Thomas Henry Aspin is this one -
                    Thomas Aspin MMN Parkinson - GRO Reference: 1905 J Quarter in SALFORD Volume 08D Page 91

This could fit this marriage - Marriages Sep 1900 - ASPIN James Henry - Salford 8d 131 - Parkinson Alice - Salford 8d 131

The puzzle is that it seems to fit with this family in 1911 but the wife is Mary Alice, not Alice - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This is the marriage I am looking at giving her father as William Parkinson, a Carter - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Comment

wrong man

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        Is this your James H Aspin? Service record is on------ Ancestry. Royal Garrison Artillery. Reg No 156065

Full name James ?Haworth Aspin, Schoolmaster. Living at the time of joining 149 Leamington Road, Blackburn Wife Adeline, son John.

There is also a Medal Card.

There is a record on FMP for Thomas Aspin Reg No 1782425

Royal Artillery Attestations
                        Attested 1941

Disc 30/08/43
                        Para 390(XVI) KR 40

No date or place of birth given

Vera
                        Thanks for your reply,but this is not the James Henry Aspin,on the 1911 census he is at 33 Barker Street Salford,Lancashire,which would be correct as the family all lived in or nearby.

Ron

Comment

The 1911 census link that I put up had James Henry and family living at 37 Barker Street, Pendleton, Salford. He is a Goods Porter working on the L&Y (Leeds and Yorkshire?) Railway.

Comment

Hello Ron

Can you confirm that your looking for military records for James Henry Aspin born 1878 as well as Thomas b 1905.

I cant see anything other than what I have posted for Thomas and nothing military for James Henry but that doesnt say that its not on record

Vera

Comment

Wifes dad/grandad

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              This is the marriage I am looking at giving her father as William Parkinson, a Carter - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                              Hiya Chrissie,yes this is the one,I have the wife down as Mary Alice Aspin ( Parkinson ) on the census 0f 1911 you are also able to see Thomas who was my wife dad and whos dog tags I now have,thank you for helping with my search.

Ron

Comment

Thank you for helping but this is not the one

James Henry Aspin,married to Mary Alice Aspin ( Parkinson ) as on the 1911 census,i know this is correct as we know the siblings.

Ron

Comment

Service record

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                  Hello Ron

Can you confirm that your looking for military records for James Henry Aspin born 1878 as well as Thomas b 1905.

I cant see anything other than what I have posted for Thomas and nothing military for James Henry but that doesnt say that its not on record

Vera
                                  Yes that's correct,i have not been able to find any details from the dog tags belonging to Thomas I have

Ron

Comment

The only T Aspin I can find born in 1905 that has a father Thomas Henry Aspin is this one -
                                    Thomas Aspin MMN Parkinson - GRO Reference: 1905 J Quarter in SALFORD Volume 08D Page 91

This could fit this marriage - Marriages Sep 1900 - ASPIN James Henry - Salford 8d 131 - Parkinson Alice - Salford 8d 131

The puzzle is that it seems to fit with this family in 1911 but the wife is Mary Alice, not Alice - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                                    This is the one Chrissie, it is spelt different on other items I have.

Ron

Comment

This marriage appears on LancsBMD:
                                      ASPIN James H, & PARKINSON Alice, at Salford, Christ Church; registers in Salford
                                      As for the extra name on the front - my grandmother was birth-registered as Alice, but added another name on the front, in adulthood. I'd have had a lot of trouble finding her death registration had I not know about that!
                                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 24-10-18, 20:32.
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                      X