Flinter marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flinter marriage

My ggg grandfather Thomas Flinter married Catherine Daly (or similar) in 1822. Following the travels of the 83rd lightfoot he would have been in Ceylon somewhere when he got married. Catherine was born 1809/10 in the cape of good hope (I have this on a 1861 census in Ireland) I also have found one of his daughters was born in kandy in 1826 -Eliza, under the name Flinton.!! I so would love to find their marriage in Ceylon or on board ship. I found the ship Adamant and Eliza that they sailed on from cape to Ceylon but no list of names.
    Many thanks.
    Lorna

Hi, Lorna - and welcome to ftf!

You may get more attention for this thread in the first grouping, Research History Research. A moderator can move it for you.

Have you looked for his pension record?
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 22-10-18, 00:04.

Comment

Yes move it as I wasn't sure where to put it. Yes I have 9 pages of his army record and discharge. He served just over 12 years overseas. That would have been Ceylon. Though I did notice in the memoirs of 83rd lightfoot book that a detachment was sent to Calcutta for a time. Can't get records on that end. Thank you

Comment

Welcome Lorna,
        Are you sure Catherine was born was born 1809/10? She would only have been 12/13 at her marriage in 1822. Was their marriage date from his Service record?
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Name: Caroline Flinter
          Event Type: Christening
          Event Date: 18 Sep 1837, 18 Sep 1837
          Event Place: St. Mary's-on-the-Hill, Chester, Cheshire, England
          Father's Name: Thomas Flinter
          Mother's Name: Catherine

FLINTER, CAROLINE FLINTER DALY
          GRO Reference: 1837 S Quarter in GREAT BOUGHTON Volume 19 Page 25
          Kat

Comment

According to this thread you posted that two of his daughters - Jane married in 1879 and Caroline married 1860. What censuses do you have these daughters on please and what were the details of their marriages?

and this post on Roots confirms that we have the correct daughter - Caroline:

Caroline Flinter born 31 Aug / bap 18 Sep 1837 at St Mary's , Chester
            daughter of Thomas , Sgt Major 83rd , and Catherine of Castle Barracks.
            Kat

Comment

On the 1861 Ireland census they were married in 1822. On the headstone she died 1881 at age 71 so born 1810??? Yes we have added and subtracted and it looks like she married very young. Thomas would have been 24!!

Comment

I can't find any of their 5-6 daughters on a census. I guess they moved around so much. Jane married James newell and lived in Newry co down. Eliza, my great great gran born in Ceylon in 1826 married Thomas Landsley, who was in 83rd lightfoot. Caroline married Ernst Ludecke in 1860. Buried rose hill cemetery Oxford. Then 2 more but I don't know their names, one married Claude Leeper and the other George Rutter.

Comment

Perhaps someone with Irish Ancestry experience on here can help you. If you have information then dates and places and your sources for the information would be really, really helpful.

Quote : "Then 2 more but I don't know their names, one married Claude Leeper and the other George Rutter."????????
                  Kat

Comment

My sources are from so many places, ancestry, forces war records, and national archives. Census has not really helped in tracing Thomas and Catherine Flinter. There seems to be a mix of their children in England and n Ireland and then there is his service overseas.
                    Thomas Flinter born 1798, Catherine born 1810 ( cape of good Hope) on 1851 Ireland census. Thomas joined up age 15 with 83rd regiment lightfoot ( have his military record and promotions and discharge) They married 1822( on 1851 census) and had 5/6 daughters - Caroline, Eliza, Jane are the only ones I have names for.
                    I know this is scanty with so many holes I'm trying to fill but I suppose this is what it's all about.

Comment

Lorna,
                      In various posts above you mention the 1851 and 1861 Ireland censuses as sources - but the 1861 census was destroyed and only fragments of the 1851 Ireland census survive. Please could you check back on your 1851 and 1861 censuses and possibly post links to them?
                      Christine
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

The 1851 census was given time mum about 50 yrs ago. I don't know how it came into her possession. Sorry. I could send a photo of it to you if you wish. Lorna

Comment

Originally posted by Lorna View Post
                          The 1851 census was given time mum about 50 yrs ago. I don't know how it came into her possession. Sorry. I could send a photo of it to you if you wish. Lorna
                          Yes please - I'd be really intrigued to see it! I'll send you a private message with contact details.
                          Thanks,
                          Christine

Update - option to send you a private message doesn't appear when I click on your username. I have a hazy recollection that you might have to post 10 messages before you can receive a private message. Could you click on my username and see if the send private message option comes up for you?
                          Last edited by Karamazov; 22-10-18, 16:10.
                          Researching:
                          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Says private messages turned off.

Comment

You can post the image on this thread.
                              Choose the little picture in the frame on the band at the top of the quick reply box

Click "From Computer"
                              Click "Choose File". This will take you to your computer.
                              Find your file and double click on it
                              (Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19354[/ATTACH will look like this til you post the link.
                              Then click "Upload File"
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-10-18, 17:26.
                              Kat

Comment

sorry too late to edit that - instructions should read this way

(Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif)
                                Then click "Upload File"

then you will see something like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]19354[/ATTACH which will miraculously change into an image when you press "post quick reply"
                                Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-10-18, 17:32.
                                Kat

Comment

I'm having trouble doing this. Aghhh. I have photos in Dropbox and soo complicated. Could I email them to you??

Comment

Comment

5CEpBEIg.jpeg

Interesting. Never seen an early Irish census before.
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-10-18, 21:50.
                                      Kat

Comment

That's amazing - you must be one of a very small number of people who have anything from 1851!
                                        There are now no surviving records from Cork in 1851 so I am guessing that someone ordered this certified copy before the Four Courts fire in 1922. A pity they did not request the info for everyone in the household hence all the X entries.
                                        Nothing at all survives from the 1861 Ireland census so could you do a Dropbox link for your 1861 info too - would be fascinated to see that as well.
                                        This link gives you an idea of what survives, and sadly, what has been lost...

Christine
                                        Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                        X