Danish national joining Canadian Forestry Corps in WWI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish national joining Canadian Forestry Corps in WWI

My grandmother's brother was born in Denmark in 1890, he left for the USA in 1908 and somehow came to Canada. He joined the Canadian Forestry Corps on September 19. 1916. According to his military papers, he claimed to be from Banff, Scotland, and stated that he had no relatives. Later on, his mother's name and address in Denmark is registered as closest relative in his military papers, and his mother (my great-grandmother) received the "Dead Man's Penny" and "Jeff and Mutt" medals upon his death from Spanish flu in 1918.

Why did he claim to be from Scotland? Would the Canadian Army accept on nationals from the British Empire? Or would he have been rejected because Denmark was neutral in WWI?

Isn't there a Banff in Canada?

OC

Comment

I have several examples of people from England serving in the Canadian Army. Have no idea if other nationals would also serve.
      Do you have an actual record of his birth in Denmark? I'm sure you must have but it occurred to me that his mother just might happen to be living there.
      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Isn't there a Banff in Canada?

OC

You are quite correct OC ...... Banff, Alberta
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          I have several examples of people from England serving in the Canadian Army. Have no idea if other nationals would also serve.
          Do you have an actual record of his birth in Denmark? I'm sure you must have but it occurred to me that his mother just might happen to be living there.
          Anne
          Yes, I do have a record of his place and date of birth in Denmark. Yes, his mother - my great-grandmother - lived in Denmark all her life, and so do I. And I knew his sister - my grandmother.

Comment

I have copies of his Canadian military papers. When joining the Canadian army, he stated to be born i "Banff, Scotland", which is clearly false, as he was born i Denmark. He also stated that he had no family, which is also clearly false, as his parents and sister lived in Denmark. In some later recordings his mother's address in Denmark is correctly stated.

So, my question is: Why would he give false information when joining the army? Or would the recruitment officers possibly record false information to cover the fact he was not a Canadian or British citizen?

Comment

Worth bearing in mind that until 1947 all Canadians were British subjects.

Comment

One thought .......

....... he may have been asked the "wrong question", and/or his English might not have been good enough to understand the nuances of English or Canadian English

eg, the Recruiter asked "Where are you from?", meaning where were you born?

But he understood it literally as being where had he just come from, ie Banff, AB

It's a little akin to the misunderstandings sometimes (??often?) seen on marriage certificates when fathers are not shown as deceased when they are .... the vicar has not asked the correct question to elicit the correct answer.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                X