Looking for family of James Burrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for family of James Burrows

James Burrows b.Astley Lancashire c.1915/16 m.Vera Ivy Gallimore in Staffs in 1942 6B 498 38

I have details of the Gallimore family but not James Burrows.
    All I have is that James Burrows served in the 12th Royal Lancers,8th Army & his service no. 3389941.
    What I am looking for is James' parents/grandparents/siblings in order to follow the family history back.

Any info gratefully appreciated

Betty
    ​Bettyespana

You would need the marriage cert first to find out his father's name and occupation. Do you know when/where he died, or anything about any siblings etc?
    The only one born in Leigh Registration district around that time though seems to be - Births Sep 1916 - James Burrows mmn Hurst Reg Leigh ref 8c 497
    If this is him the most likely marriage for his parents would be - Marriages Dec 1912 - Burrows Thomas (Hurst) Leigh 8c 409 to Hurst Elizabeth (Burrows) Leigh 8c 409
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-10-18, 10:01.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
      This looks like the one in 1939 thatI posted above - he was a bus driver -
      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

I cannot get into the link without signing up to them which I don't want to do as I have had issues with that site in the past
      ​Bettyespana

Comment

I am trying to attack this from a different angle i.e. the military side. I have to admit that I am struggling to find any James Burrows specifically linked to the 12th Lancers or with a service number of 3389941. The only reference I have found is via Google http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801811.0 and am guessing that this enquiry is related.

Comment

Yes I enquired about that via Rootchat Army site.

It was for my daughterinlaw who is following it up.I think she has contacted the as website as instructed therein
          ​Bettyespana

Comment

James Burrows
            24 Jun 1916
            Jan 1995
            Leigh
            Greater Manchester
            A75

Comment

Following on from #Chrissie Smiff reference to the 1939, here are the other family members all living at 7 Lovers Lane, Atherton:-

Thomas Burrows, b.16/03/1888, bolt forger heavy (married)
              Elizabeth Burrows, b.10/04/1894, unpaid domestic duties (married)
              Martha Burrows, b.24/02/1913, weaver cotton mill (single)
              James Burrows, b.24/06/1916, omnibus driver (single)
              Margaret Burrows (Pugh), b.25/02/1921, bolt screwer (single)
              Sydney Burrows, b.13/04/1929, at school

There are also two other family members that have been redacted.

Comment

Originally posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
                Following on from #Chrissie Smiff reference to the 1939, here are the other family members all living at 7 Lovers Lane, Atherton:-

Thomas Burrows, b.16/03/1888, bolt forger heavy (married)
                Elizabeth Burrows, b.10/04/1894, unpaid domestic duties (married)
                Martha Burrows, b.24/02/1913, weaver cotton mill (single)
                James Burrows, b.24/06/1916, omnibus driver (single)
                Margaret Burrows (Pugh), b.25/02/1921, bolt screwer (single)
                Sydney Burrows, b.13/04/1929, at school

There are also two other family members that have been redacted.
                Thank you both to Chrissie & HTSCF Fareham for all this info you have helped me with.

I will pass this on to my daughter in law & hopefully it will give her answers she has been unaware of previously
                & she will be very grateful to receive.
                ​Bettyespana

Comment

Thomas Burrows, baptised 06 Apr 1888, Wigan, Lancashire

Son of Richard and Martha Burrows

The above seems very likely based on what was found in the 1939 (the name Martha).

Comment

Originally posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
                    Thomas Burrows, baptised 06 Apr 1888, Wigan, Lancashire

Son of Richard and Martha Burrows

The above seems very likely based on what was found in the 1939 (the name Martha).
                    Yes it may well be likely as you say.Will note it down along with all the other info.Thank you
                    ​Bettyespana

Comment

Betty do you have the Army record for James to show when he enlisted? He is 23 on that 1839 Register and if he joined up at the start of the war he wouldn't be on that register. Of course he could have joined up later in the war -- just being a bit cautious. It's easy to go down the wrong route. Your best bet is to get James and Vera's marriage cert as Chrissie suggested in post #2 for father's name and occupation. The rest is speculation without it.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        Betty do you have the Army record for James to show when he enlisted? He is 23 on that 1839 Register and if he joined up at the start of the war he wouldn't be on that register. Of course he could have joined up later in the war -- just being a bit cautious. It's easy to go down the wrong route. Your best bet is to get James and Vera's marriage cert as Chrissie suggested in post #2 for father's name and occupation. The rest is speculation without it.
                        Well I thought that also re: James age & the 1939 reg,however it is my daughter in laws Mum(James Burrows was her dad) who gave me the Army details & she is away this weekend.
                        If she has his army details she or her sister may already have a copy of the marriage cert(says me with fingers crossed).
                        I think she will at least be able to tell me if we are on the right track as the Burrows family lived in Atherton nearly all their lives.Atherton is under the Wigan /Leigh reg.district.
                        ​Bettyespana

Comment

Probably is him then if in Atherton all his life. I can't see another Thomas - bolt maker . If so:
                          1911 Census
                          189 Leigh Road, Howe Bridge, Atherton, Lancashire
                          John Burrows Head Married Male 68 1843 Colliery Fire Man Underground Lancashire St Helens
                          Margaret Burrows Wife Married Female 64 1847 - Lancashire St Helens
                          Eliza Ann Burrows Daughter Single Female 29 1882 Pit Brow Coal Cleaning Lancashire Atherton
                          Thomas Burrows Son Single Male 23 1888 Bolt Maker Lancashire Atherton
                          RG14PN23241 RG78PN1358 RD460 SD4 ED11 SN115
                          Kat

Comment

By the way all WW2 army service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence.

Request records of deceased service personnel
                            Kat

Comment

I will cross my fingers for you Betty that they already have the marriage cert because, no matter how likely this all sounds, as Kat says you do need to see it before you go any further. It's so easy to go down the wrong route without checking.
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Probably is him then if in Atherton all his life. I can't see another Thomas - bolt maker . If so:
                                1911 Census
                                189 Leigh Road, Howe Bridge, Atherton, Lancashire
                                John Burrows Head Married Male 68 1843 Colliery Fire Man Underground Lancashire St Helens
                                Margaret Burrows Wife Married Female 64 1847 - Lancashire St Helens
                                Eliza Ann Burrows  Daughter Single Female 29 1882 Pit Brow Coal Cleaning Lancashire Atherton
                                Thomas Burrows Son Single Male 23 1888 Bolt Maker Lancashire Atherton
                                RG14PN23241 RG78PN1358 RD460 SD4 ED11 SN115
                                Well this puts the cat amongst the pigeons! Post 10 from HTSCF tells of Thomas Burrows b.1888 with parents Richard & Martha.
                                Now you have found this one &it looks even more likely.
                                Fingers crossed now.Thank you
                                ​Bettyespana

Comment

By the way all WW2 army service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence.

Request records of deceased service personnel
                                  Yes I think they have already done this after I got the e.mail address from another site.
                                  ​Bettyespana

Comment

Just shows how important certificates are I guess?
                                    Kat

Comment

Working...
                                    X