James Mcalonan 1842-1906

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Mcalonan 1842-1906

Trying to find the identity of the parents of James Mcalonan(1842-1906)buried in Belfast city cemetery, county Antrim, Northern Ireland.

James wife was Isabella Barnet who died Belfast 28 April 1909 and buried in same plot. In 1901 Irish census their eldest daughter is shown as being born in Scotland in 1871.
    A marriage search on Scotlands People gave a James McAlonan who married an Isabella Barnet at Dundee in 1866. His father was Samuel & his mother Jane Gordon.
    Rgds Matt
    My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Thanks Matt that's great

Comment

Is there any more info on his parents Samuel mcalonan and Jane Gordon

Comment

Your welcome. If you would like a copy of the marriage record send your email via a PM.

Comment

Still finding it difficult to locate any information on James Mcalonans parents apart from their names, any help plz

Comment

The 1901 can be found here:

Comment

Samuel and Jane in the 1901 here? :
                Last edited by HTSCF Fareham; 16-10-18, 09:27.

Comment

How certain are we that Jane's last name was Gordon? The only reason I ask is that it maybe that her last name was Barber. It has the same number of letters and if looking at an original script, the letters are very similar in shape.

If my theory is correct, then there is a Samuel McAlonan marrying a Jane Barber on 14 October 1854 at Rocavan, Antrim, Ireland. This also shows Samuel's father as Samuel.

FHL Film Number: 101353

Reference ID: 2:3BX33RC
                  Last edited by HTSCF Fareham; 16-10-18, 09:43.

Comment

On James marriage record in Dundee,Scotland he gives his fathers name as Samuel,occupation Weaver. He gives his mother as Jane McAlonan maiden surname Gordon.
                    The Samuel refered to in the 1901 census in Post 8 above has an occupation shown as a Blacksmith.

Matt

Comment

Okay, just a thought.

Comment

James grave contains his wife Isabella plus 3 children including Edward Ross McAlonan who died 9.5.1950 aged 64. For clarity, this is Isabella, born in Scotland in the 1901 Irish census together with son Edward:

I don’t see James McAlonan in the 1901 census in Ireland. Perhaps he was in Scotland or England on census night?

I see James in the 1871 Scottish census at 7 River St, Montrose. He’s a manual labourer aged 28 born Ireland, and is accompanied by Isabella 25, Samuel 3, and Elspeth 1, all born Dundee.

By 4.1.1876, the family are living in Rodenfoot, Ballymoney, Co Antrim. Son James was born there then. Father James was a Baptist Minister. (I wonder where James acquired his training as a Minister, if he was a labourer in 1871).

The family evidently remained in the Ballymoney area for some years. I see the birth of John on 17.7.1878; Elizabeth 21.5.1880, William 12.7.1882; Agnes 9.11.1884. Also Edward Ross McAlonan on 30.4.1886 at Charlotte St, Ballymoney, Co. Antrim. On Edward’s birth, James was a “Minister of the Gospel”.

They appear to have moved from Ballymoney to Belfast sometime between 1886 and 1901. The family denomination of Brethren in 1901 is interesting. Had they changed from being Baptists? Brethren don’t have qualified Ministers (and for that reason normally have to marry in a Register Office), so perhaps James was a lay preacher.

There’s a death of a Samuel McAlonan, aged 78, on 19.12.1891 at Mount St, Ballymena. He was a widower and a linen weaver. The informant was his son James McAlonan, also of Ballymena. That could be family you are looking for. I looked for the death of a Jane McAlonan, pre 1891. Nearest I could find was on 26.11.1870, aged 62, in Ballymoney. That certificate is not viewable free yet so can’t tell you any more. If you want to get the details, you’ll need to pay to view it on the GRONI website. (The 1866 Scottish marriage certificate should tell you whether Samuel & Jane were alive at that date. If dead it will say "dcd" or similar. That may help narrow the search for them).

James’s birth c 1842 is before the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland (1864), also before the start of statutory marriage registration (1845). So neither his birth nor his parents marriage will be in the statutory records. They might be in church records but not all churches have got records for that period and where they do survive, not all are on-line. I am not aware of any Irish Baptist or Brethren records available or on-line, but I’d guess that this family was originally Presbyterian and probably those are probably the church records to focus on.

My guess is that the McAlonan and Gordon families originated somewhere around Ballymena or Ballymoney. There were a couple of McAlonan families in Ballymoney in Parke’s 1817 census of the parish but none with a son Samuel. There was one Gordon family but again no Jane. However perhaps they lived outside Ballymoney parish and so weren’t included. The baptism records for Presbyterian churches in and around Ballymoney and Ballymena are not on-line. There are copies in PRONI in Belfast but a personal visit is required to view them. And that would be quite a few sets of records to go through.
                        Last edited by Elwyn; 18-10-18, 01:26.
                        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X