Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev John Barnett, Katesbridge, Co Down

Hello all,
    I don't currently have an FMP Worldwide sub but have found what appears to be an extended account of his life in FMP Irish newspapers - Newry Reporter published 23 November 1901. I'm hoping it may include details of his working history, first wife and any children of first marriage, as I don't have any info about this as yet.
    There may also be further info in an article published June 12, 1902 - Belfast News-Letter.
    Also what looks to be the death of his widow (his second wife Ellen/Eleanor, nee Mulligan) November 6, 1926 - Northern Whig (OCR snippet I can see is very garbled. I have their 1887 marriage record and birth and death of their only son John Johnston Barnett 1889-1907.

Search terms were John Barnett with keyword Katesbridge.
    If anyone is willing to forward the info, please could you PM me?

Thanks,
    Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 20-09-18, 08:52.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Can't help you there Christine but there is a snippet in Glasgow Herald dated 16th June 1870 re officiating at his niece's marriage. Mary Henderson
    of Dungannon to Alex M Stewart, Glasgow at Stewartstown. Have saved that if you want it.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi folks,
      Thanks Linda and Caroline for offers of help.
      There is what looks to be a fairly reliable tree on ancestry which gives first marriage 1857 to Emma Jane Storey who was the daughter of a Lt-General Storey of the Hon East India Company. I was just about to check this out further when a new new person turned up at the library for help with her ancestry so didn't get the chance to follow through. So,if anyone fancies pursuing Emma please feel free...

As for the woman who turned up at the library - her maternal line should be straightforward enough but her dad was Hungarian, born 1929, died 2004 and arrived in England, possibly during WW2,but information is decidedly sketchy. Hungarian records will be a new one for me - think I will start a separate thread on that rather than mixing it in with an Irish Presbyterian minister!
      Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 20-09-18, 15:45.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        Can't help you there Christine but there is a snippet in Glasgow Herald dated 16th June 1870 re officiating at his niece's marriage. Mary Henderson
        of Dungannon to Alex M Stewart, Glasgow at Stewartstown. Have saved that if you want it.
        Thanks Kat - yes please.
        I'll PM you.
        Christine
        Researching:

Comment

Done
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Family in 1901 census:

1911 census:

PRONI has this probate abstract:

Probate of the Will of The Reverend John Barnett late of Katesbridge County Down Presbyterian Minister who died 18 November 1901 granted at Belfast to Eleanor A. Barnett the Widow

Presumably the date of death is suspect if John was in the 1911 census. His probate was granted in 1916 and so the PRONI date of death may be incorrect.

Barnett Elinor Anne of 4 Elmwood Avenue and of 31 Bawnmore Road both Belfast widow died 5 November 1926 Probate Belfast 28 February to Martha Adams Mulligan spinster and Beatrice Henderson married woman. Effects £540 10s. 2d.

Both wills should be in PRONI in paper format,. They’ll copy them for you for a fee.

GRONI has Elinor’s death on 5th Nov 1926.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I've found the article, if you want to pm your address I will send it over to you.
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                I've found the article, if you want to pm your address I will send it over to you.
                Thanks for the offer Elaine but I now have several articles thanks to Linda, Caroline and Kat.

Christine
                Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
                  Family in 1901 census:

1911 census:

PRONI has this probate abstract:

Probate of the Will of The Reverend John Barnett late of Katesbridge County Down Presbyterian Minister who died 18 November 1901 granted at Belfast to Eleanor A. Barnett the Widow

Presumably the date of death is suspect if John was in the 1911 census. His probate was granted in 1916 and so the PRONI date of death may be incorrect.

Barnett Elinor Anne of 4 Elmwood Avenue and of 31 Bawnmore Road both Belfast widow died 5 November 1926 Probate Belfast 28 February to Martha Adams Mulligan spinster and Beatrice Henderson married woman. Effects £540 10s. 2d.

Both wills should be in PRONI in paper format,. They’ll copy them for you for a fee.

GRONI has Elinor’s death on 5th Nov 1926.
                  Hi Elwyn,
                  1901 date of death for John Barnett is definitely correct - death cert on irishgenealogy.ie.
                  He isn't around on the 1911 census - you have copied the 1901 link twice.

Widow Elinor is here in 1911: http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...ybrick/208997/

I already had the probate info for John - no idea why Elinor waited till 1916 to get grant of probate.
                  Their son John Johnston Barnett who was on the 1901 census died aged 18 in 1907.

I've had a great time poring over wills at PRONI on previous visits. I'm hoping to be over in Belfast again late Oct/early Nov so these have been added to the to-do list.

Also - inadvertently typed the wrong name for first wife in post 3 - her name was Emma Julia Storey. I can find her 1886 death on both familysearch and GRONI but not on irishgenealogy.ie. The same thing has happened with several other Irish BMDs - eg birth of my grandad in Belfast in 1893.

Elwyn - is there any way of alerting irishgenealogy.ie that there are pages missing (citing vol and page ref from familysearch) in the hope that they will digitise and upload?

Thanks
                  Christine
                  Last edited by Karamazov; 20-09-18, 23:59.
                  Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                    Hi Elwyn,

Also - inadvertently typed the wrong name for first wife in post 3 - her name was Emma Julia Storey. I can find her 1886 death on both familysearch and GRONI but not on irishgenealogy.ie. The same thing has happened with several other Irish BMDs - eg birth of my grandad in Belfast in 1893.

Elwyn - is there any way of alerting irishgenealogy.ie that there are pages missing (citing vol and page ref from familysearch) in the hope that they will digitise and upload?

Thanks
                    Christine
                    Sorry about the mistake with the census year.

The delay between death and probate grant isn’t that uncommon. You don’t need probate for every will, even today. If the assets are movable or in joint names you can often wind up a small estate without probate (in which case PRONI won't have a probate file or copy of the will). Even with assets in financial institutions they will sometimes release the funds to the executor without a grant of probate. Then sometimes years later an additional bank account or insurance policy is discovered and it is realised then that probate is required after all, in order to access those particular assets. So for example, with a farm, I have seen the farm pass seamlessly from father to son at the father’s death, but then 10 years later when the son wanted to sell, he discovered that he had no written title to it, and belatedly obtained probate, in order to establish his ownership.

You can give irishgenealogy feedback about a missing BD or Ms by using their contact link:

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
                    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I used FMP with the same search terms and came up with Rev John Barnett, Presbyterian Church of Rathfriland, 1894

Comment

There are also newspaper articles:-

Inverness Courier 07/01/1858 -The Presbytery of Lochcarron met at Sheildaig on the 30th, for the induction of the Rev John Barnett into that church. The solemn services of the day were performed by the Minister of the Parish, the Rev. Roderick Nicolson. Mr Barnett has been the unanimous choice of the people, and we hope that his settlement ampng them may be blessed for good.

Comment

Here's another:-

Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette 19/11/1877 -The Congregational Committee of the Lochalsh Parish Church vacancy have appointed to recommend a minister for this parish have held several meetings to further the object entrusted to them. We understand that at a meeting held at the church on Monday last -the 12th inst- a report was unanimously adopted in favour of the Rev John Barnett, minister of the Gaelic Church, Greenock. The congregation are to be congratulated on the harmony and unanimity which have characterised all the proceedings in connection with this vacancy - Highlander

Comment

And another:-

Stonehaven Journal 04/04/1867 - Mission Sermons - The Rev John Barnett, of Carlow, Ireland, preached in the Free Churches on Sabbath, advocating the claims of the missions of the Presbyterian Church to the Roman Catholics in the south and west of Ireland. In each of the churches collections were made on behalf of the mission.

Comment

In fact, it looks like there are lots of entries on FMP spanning a number of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X