A clerk of the church's working life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A clerk of the church's working life

Hi all my name's Nick and I live on the West coast of Scotland. I'm looking for some help on one of my ancestors that lived in Wiltshire. I'm trying to find out the working history of John White who died on the 12th Dec 1850 at the age of 77 after serving for 49 years as the Clerk of the church of The Priory Church in Edington, Wiltshire. Any Help on research would be much appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 20-09-18, 21:59. Reason: title and occupation change

Hi Nick, the Clergy of the Church of England database should be helpful (it's helped me with some clerics in my husband's tree). He's likely to get mentioned in newspaper articles too if you have access to the British Newspaper Archive or the papers on Find My Past. If you are registered with your local library you may be able to get access to newspapers via their online services.

Comment

Thanks Jill, but I've made a small error lol as you do, he wasn't a vicar he was the clerk of the church for 49 yrs.

Comment

Never mind, I've made errors of all sizes! Have altered the title and occupation for you.
        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 20-09-18, 22:00.

Comment

Sometimes the clergyman was refered to as a Clerk. That could have been the vicar, the rector or a curate who was doing the job for an absentee vicar, often for a very small payment.
          Anne

Comment

I saw on another thread recently about vicars getting married themselves and how they were described. I believe the consensus was that it was usual for the vicar’s occupation to be entered as “Clerk in Holy Orders”.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-09-18, 23:06.

Comment

Having searched the Clergy database, John White does not appear for Edington so we can conclude he was just a clerk to the parish and not in holy orders. There are various clergy connected with the parish, a little research into them may bear fruit, occasionally they made the news, or researching the village just to get a feel for the was life was in the area.
              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 21-09-18, 06:59. Reason: typo

Comment

It might be worth contacting the friends of Edington Church? - https://www.edingtonfriends.org.uk/
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie I've already done that.

Comment

One of mine was clerk to the parish church, he was a local farmer of good repute from a very old family. I found it quite comical that he couldn't consistently spell his own surname!

There was some biographical information about him at the back of the parish register but it wasn't anything I didn't already know.

OC

Comment

Probably have this already and not strictly what you were asking for.

Buried 15/12/1850, Edington, Wiltshire

Comment

Working...
                      X