Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery murder in the family!

Hello everyone.

Im new to doing family trees but have done quite a bit but am stuck on the below. Not sure if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I’m trying to trace details on my third great grandfather, there was a rumour amongst my grandads family that he was involved in a murder, possibly not the victim. He left his wife and there was no trace of him after 1911 which was on a census. The details I have so far are:

George Ernest Parker
    Born around 1876 in either Shepherds Bush or West Kensington.
    Married to Mary Parker maiden name Comer (about 1880-1956)
    They had a son also called George Ernest Parker (1902-1984)

Where could i go from here? If it were a big thing (IE murder) wouldnt there be some record of this or maybe a prison record??

Many thanks

Have you tried googling his name???

It is surprising what you can find that way!

But also, be prepared to find that a family story is not always what you expected!

My dad's family had a story that a 3 or 4x gt grandfather died falling out of a train carriage in the 1860s or 1870s, somewhere in the Pennines, but he died a hero because he fell out while saving little girl.

Errrrrrrrrr ...... no

It took me a long time to work it out ..............

he fell out of a train carriage ---------- True

he died as a result --------------- True

BUT ......

It was my gt grandfather. He fell out of the carriage in 1877 at one of the stations in Oldham (west of the Pennines), because he opened the window and leaned out to see if they were in the station. Unfortunately, the door opened as he leaned on it because it had not been locked properly and was on the track side not the platform side. He hit his head on the rails when he fell out.

Not IN the Pennines, NO little girl to be saved ..........

but there was a very long report of the Coroner's Inquest in a very short-lived newspaper in Oldham that a very nice volunteer found for me in the Local Archives and Study Centre.

The Coroner did suggest that the family might have a case against the Railway Company ............ but I've never found any record that they did so. Probably too poor.

Some aspects true, some really embellished!!!

I'm still trying to solve the "family story" for one of OH's ancestors .......... that he went to Kendal Market to sell a cow and was murdered on the way home for the money. Not found ANY trace of that one!
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

could this be his baptism

George Ernest Parker
      Record Type: Baptism
      Baptism Date: 25 Mar 1877
      Baptism Place: Kensington St James Norlands, Kensington and Chelsea, England
      Father: James Parker
      Mother: Caroline Parker

Comment

Where was he living in the 1911 census?

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

think this is the address in 1911 George is a Bricklayer

22 Steel Road Willesden, Middlesex, England

Comment

This is the closest birth match to the details you have given for him, and would go well with the baptism that Val found - Births Jun 1877 - George Ernest Parker - Kensington Ref 1a 94
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Any sign of him or his family in 1939?

OC

Comment

Marriages Mar 1900
                Comer Mary Brentford 3a 66
                Parker George Ernest Brentford 3a 66
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Could this have been a relative and the story has been confused over the years?
                  There is a report of a George Ernest Parker age 20, a sailor from Wyehampton St, Hoxton, who was accidently shot by a girl in 1923. His father was Albert Edward Parker.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    This is the closest birth match to the details you have given for him, and would go well with the baptism that Val found - Births Jun 1877 - George Ernest Parker - Kensington Ref 1a 94
                    This one has his MMN as Cook
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 20-09-18, 18:47.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Possibly wife Mary living alone in Willesden with ? son Robert in the same street

Ancestry 1939

Mary Parker b 16/08/1880. Married. Ironer. 21 ?Brent Rd, Willesden

Robert E Parker, b 05/12/08. Married. Optical Scientific Instrument Maker

Mary A Parker b 22/10/08. Married. Unpaid dom duties.

Living 35 ?Brent Road, Willesden.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                        Have you tried googling his name???

It is surprising what you can find that way!

But also, be prepared to find that a family story is not always what you expected!

My dad's family had a story that a 3 or 4x gt grandfather died falling out of a train carriage in the 1860s or 1870s, somewhere in the Pennines, but he died a hero because he fell out while saving little girl.

Errrrrrrrrr ...... no

It took me a long time to work it out ..............

he fell out of a train carriage ---------- True

he died as a result --------------- True

BUT ......

It was my gt grandfather. He fell out of the carriage in 1877 at one of the stations in Oldham (west of the Pennines), because he opened the window and leaned out to see if they were in the station. Unfortunately, the door opened as he leaned on it because it had not been locked properly and was on the track side not the platform side. He hit his head on the rails when he fell out.

Not IN the Pennines, NO little girl to be saved ..........

but there was a very long report of the Coroner's Inquest in a very short-lived newspaper in Oldham that a very nice volunteer found for me in the Local Archives and Study Centre.

The Coroner did suggest that the family might have a case against the Railway Company ............ but I've never found any record that they did so. Probably too poor.

Some aspects true, some really embellished!!!

I'm still trying to solve the "family story" for one of OH's ancestors .......... that he went to Kendal Market to sell a cow and was murdered on the way home for the money. Not found ANY trace of that one!

Thank you for your message. The story could be mistaken, the reason we followed the story was because my grandads nan was married to george ernest parker and it was her that let slip to my grandad (my grandad is still alive) what had happened and then she quickly changed the subject saying "forget that, do not mention it again"

Comment

There is a George Ernest Parker marrying Mary Comer, 1st quarter 1900 at Brentford (volume 3A, page 66).

Comment

Sorry, just noted an older post with this detail.

Comment

1901 - 24 Grove Place, Acton, Brentford, Middlesex
                              George Parker (24), journeyman bricklayer, born Shepherd's Bush
                              Mary Parker (20), Essex
                              Ada Parker (1), born Acton

Comment

Working...
                              X