Name change, - how can I search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
    If you do the dna test, which i recommend, bear in mind you and your cousins will inherit different genes. So they might not match someone, but you could. Since the person concerned is a grandparent, you in theory will have better luck finding a connection than if this person was a fifth great grandparent you would try and prove descent from.

Even if you make no connection when you get the results, someone in future may match with you.

Also, you can view shared matches with anyone you match dna with. So you're cousins might not spot a possible connection, but any shared matches between you could be investigated more closely and you could work out a wilson vs rees match.
    Yes, I probably will get round to it thanks. I'm just a bit concerned with how Ancestry shares the information...(!)

Holly.

Comment

Did you look into the Havelock name that was mentioned as a middle name for your uncle? Is that from his mother's side or not?

I don't think you need to be over concerned with ancestry sharing your DNA it would never be linked back to you specifically.

The useful thing with ancestry is that you can download the results and put them on other sites such as Gedmatch.com and MyHeritage where there are other folk who are not on ancestry. Has your cousin done this?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        Did you look into the Havelock name that was mentioned as a middle name for your uncle? Is that from his mother's side or not?

I don't think you need to be over concerned with ancestry sharing your DNA it would never be linked back to you specifically.

The useful thing with ancestry is that you can download the results and put them on other sites such as Gedmatch.com and MyHeritage where there are other folk who are not on ancestry. Has your cousin done this?

Margaret
        Hi Margaret,

The name Havelock is definately not from the Rees side of the family. I think it was a tribute to Joseph Havelock Wilson, Leader of The Seaman's Union at the time of my Uncle's Birth. That also convinced me that William James Wilson must have been a Seaman of some sort, at some stage... (The Merchant Navy is the most likely, but records from 1870's - 1890 are very patchy).

My cousin who had the DNA test has Parkinson's, and can no longer use a PC. He took the test as a favour to me; which is why I have his results. I will do one at some stage. (I'm sure that I read somewhere that Ancestry were sharing DNA results with pharmaceutical companies? But perhaps I've got that wrong?)
        Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
          Hi Margaret,

The name Havelock is definately not from the Rees side of the family. I think it was a tribute to Joseph Havelock Wilson, Leader of The Seaman's Union at the time of my Uncle's Birth. That also convinced me that William James Wilson must have been a Seaman of some sort, at some stage... (The Merchant Navy is the most likely, but records from 1870's - 1890 are very patchy).

My cousin who had the DNA test has Parkinson's, and can no longer use a PC. He took the test as a favour to me; which is why I have his results. I will do one at some stage. (I'm sure that I read somewhere that Ancestry were sharing DNA results with pharmaceutical companies? But perhaps I've got that wrong?)
          Holly.
          There was also an earlier Havelock & Sunderland link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Havelock

I think the Sunderland schools I mentioned in an earlier post were named after this man https://www.sunderlandecho.com/lifes...eral-1-7332336

If it were my family, I think I might want to investigate the origins of Joseph Havelock Wilson of Sunderland to see if I could find any family link.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Seems Joseph Havelock Wilson was born 1859. Sir Henry Havelock had died in 1857, so presumably Joseph H was given his middle name as a tribute to the great man??

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I seem to remember when I last looked at Joseph Havelock Wilson that he was Born in a Pub in Sunderland called 'The General Havelock', or something like that:-)

I did research Joseph Havelock Wilson's family, but could find no link. Several boys born in Swansea in the 1890's with the Surname Wilson had Havelock as a middle name btw. The only link I can find is his role as leader of the Seaman's Union.

I should add that I spent years trying to find some family links with 'Havelock' and 'Rencella', Ernest Rencella Wilson's middle name, - to no avail:-(

Holly.
              Last edited by Holly; 15-09-18, 18:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                Yes, I probably will get round to it thanks. I'm just a bit concerned with how Ancestry shares the information...(!)

Holly.
                OK, - I've bitten the bullet, - and just paid for an Ancestry DNA Test!!
                Holly.

Comment

Working...
                X