McLellan of Glenlyon House, Fortingall, Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McLellan of Glenlyon House, Fortingall, Scotland

I am looking for any information about Hugh McLellan who lived at "Glenlyon House" in Fortingall, Scotland in 1906. He and two of his US cousins commissioned a family tree to be made.

Would there be any newspaper articles surviving from that era? I'm hoping for an obit, or perhaps the type of local comings-and-goings about him that might appear in a newspaper.

I'm just starting my research, so will tackle Scotland's People later today.

Also, the family tree was put together by A.C.Cameron, M.A., LL.D of Edinburgh. When I google him, I see some evidence of his work, but no bio for him. I'm wondering if he might have been affiliated with a college or university, and if his papers might still exist.

Any insight is appreciated!
    Sarah

PS - a previous thread I started talked about some of that tree:
    Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-09-18, 16:09.

I've been looking at some of my old research - he was a games keeper in Fortingall. Born in 1860. Ancestry Family trees say that he died in 1940.

My g'g'grandfather visited the area, and probably met him, in 1887 and again in 1889. I'd love to have any snippets from local papers if such things were done.

Comment

There are lots and lots of articles on Glenlyon House in the British newspaper archive.
      If you could give me a more specific date then I can have a look.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

The tree simply says that he was Hugh M'Lellan, Glenlyon House. I believe that refers to the man that I've found in the censuses (on Ancestry): Hugh McLellan, b. 1860, d. 1940, games keeper. The tree indicated that he was not married, and that seems to be consistent with the census records.

My ancestor, Andrew McLellan, is reported to have visited in 1887 and 1889. I believe he was buying horses. I cannot find a passport record nor travel records for these trips, but it is consistent with stories that my mother told me, and I have a gold filled cross and chain that is supposed to have been purchased on one of the trips.

Given the occupation, I doubt that Hugh's name will appear with any article about Glenlyon house. In an early census, he was simply listed as servant.
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-09-18, 19:37.

Comment

Update, and more questions.
          In the 1901 census, Hugh's occupation is Gamekeeper; Worker. He is the only occupant at the home (Gamekeeper's Home, Tullichoullin; 4 windows).

In 1911, he is Hotel Proprietor; Employer. The address is Strthyne Station Hotel (need more info on the hotel?)

So, I've watched Downton Abbey - my assumption is that the Gamekeeper job allowed him to make sufficient monies to afford to buy the hotel. Does that make sense? And that the Gamekeeper work gave him some status??

He married in 1912 (wife was ~20 years younger), died in 1940, I don't think he had children, but haven't checked. Didn't find a will.

and I have no more credits left ;)

Comment

Sometimes gamekeepers were listed in local newspapers (annual game licences) or in court proceedings against poachers.

Maybe he was given his cottage as a reward for loyal service; then sold it to finance the pub.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

He wouldn't necessarily have owned the hotel. As a game keeper he would have had sufficient standing in the community to have been granted a licence. In my experience, it was often the wives who actually ran the hotel/pub, just the man's name over the door.

OC

Comment

OC, he married in 1912 - she was the Housekeeper at the same hotel, per the Marriage Cert. Altho the hotel was in Balquhidder, Perthshire, they married in Stirling, apparently at the Golden Lion Hotel there. Did/does Scotland allow marriages at most any place, not just at churches in Registry offices?

Skipping back several generations, to a different ancestor:

He was born c.1742, presumably Church of Scotland. I think I understand that in England, a child was baptized in the parents' parish church, pretty much as a requirement, right?

What about in Scotland?
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-09-18, 18:13.

Comment

Depends where in scotland you're talking about and the time period. Most of the parishes in the lowlands have 18th century registers, but most for the highlands begin around 1830.

I also find that not all baptisms were done, recorded or survived. Some may be non conformist. I may know of a certain amount of kids from civil registration (mostly australia or scotland) and census, but can usually only find baptisms for 2 or 3 of them. This is scotland wide, not just a certain county.

Comment

Working...
                  X