• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Still looking
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I am just looking at the 1939 register. Edward and Alice are in Camberwell Grove. His DOB is 3rd July 1858 and hers is 5 November 1865. Her birth certificate states 5 November 1863, so she has also played with her age...!
      I have read that whilst people played with their birth year, they normally kept the day and month the same ?
      Is this angle worth looking into?
      There is also something written over Alice's details, but I don't understand what they mean (if anything)?

Comment

The ED code for where your Edwards are on the 1939 can be seen at the top of the page - AEJK
        Codes AEA to AEX are all Camberwell Enumeration District (ED)codes therefore all the addresses for AEJ and AEK are in that particular book.

DEJ is the Enumeration District code for the area of Hitchin, Hertfordshire. 28 Feb 1949 could be the date they moved there? Don't know what the 56 means but it is written over the date of birth 1865 so maybe that was an alteration to her dob which was discovered on updating her details when they moved?

Edit:
        On second thoughts this is is probably Edwards change of birth date 1858 to 1856. Alice was born 1863 so I doubt that's the one that was changed as we know from the GRO the correct date 1863 rather than 1865
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-09-18, 22:37.
        Kat

Comment

Going to have to check with my mother about the dates. My grandparents were certainly living in Hitchin in 1944 as my aunt was born there, so there was a connection to Hitchin and Alice went to live with my grandparents at some point after the death of Edward in 1939 in Camberwell, a 1949 Hitchin mention is perfectly feasible.
          Thought just occurred to me.....I am going to get a copy of his death certificate, I wonder if Alice did the reporting and let slip any nuggets on it, although many of their children remained in south east London, so one of them may have done the paperwork.
          Thank you so much for your input, it really has been helpful.

Comment

It will give his age on the DC so we can see if it tallies with any of the dates you already have for him.

This from the National Archives tell you why and how the 1939 Register was updated:
            "The Register was continually updated while National Registration was in force, when it was a legal requirement to notify the registration authorities of any change of name or address. This ended in 1952, but since 1948 the Register had also been used by the National Health Service, who continued updating the records until 1991, when paper-based record keeping was discontinued.

Changes of name for any reason were recorded; in practice this was mostly when women changed their surnames on marriage or re-marriage, but also includes changes of name for any other reason, such as by deed poll.

The majority of these name changes appear in the indexes so you can search for a person using either their name in 1939 or any subsequent name."
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-09-18, 23:32.
            Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
              It will give his age on the DC so we can see if it tallies with any of the dates you already have for him.

This from the National Archives tell you why and how the 1939 Register was updated:
              "The Register was continually updated while National Registration was in force, when it was a legal requirement to notify the registration authorities of any change of name or address. This ended in 1952, but since 1948 the Register had also been used by the National Health Service, who continued updating the records until 1991, when paper-based record keeping was discontinued.

Changes of name for any reason were recorded; in practice this was mostly when women changed their surnames on marriage or re-marriage, but also includes changes of name for any other reason, such as by deed poll.

The majority of these name changes appear in the indexes so you can search for a person using either their name in 1939 or any subsequent name."
              Thank you, that's really interesting information to know.
              Funny how they updated the fact that Alice moved to Hitchin, but not the fact that Edward died! Although having said that there IS something written in red pen on Edwards line but the page is not flat enough to read it.

Comment

Working...
              X