No announcement yet.

Thomas Rees in the 1851 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Janet and Vera2013. I have just heard from my cousin over in Kansas she says that when he died in1884 there was a tombstone erected by his grave, a portion of which says born in Monmouthshire Wales.

Arthur

Comment

Well done Vera on unearthing the marriage.
      I didn't investigate further in other parts of Wales as I was waiting to hear from Arthur.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Jay,
        Sorry if I let you down

Arthur

Comment

Possible

Ancestry 1851 census

William Evans, Head, 44, Haulier
          Thomas Rees, Lodger, 45, Married, Haulier born UK (on image)
          Alice Thomas, Housekeeper, Widow aged 79
          Hannah James aged 9

Living village of P????, Bedwelty, Mon

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 12-08-18, 21:19.

Comment

Most probable I'd say Vera! Well done
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Most probable I'd say Vera! Well done Try as a may I cannot get that to come up on fmp????
              Kat

Comment

Have got it on Ancestry. I think on the image U K is for unknown for birthplace rather than UK.
                Kat

Comment

Well done, Vera

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

That piece appears to be missing on FMP. How cross am I after all that searching LOL. Can anyone else find it? or am I having a senior moment?
                    I have reported it though. I usually prefer to search on FMP as there are fewer errors and you can search using occupation on all the censuses. I find that a bit hit or miss on Ancestry at the moment. Fed up now - off to bed
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-08-18, 22:18.
                    Kat

Comment

Many thanks to Vera et all!!!

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        That piece appears to be missing on FMP. How cross am I after all that searching LOL. Can anyone else find it? or am I having a senior moment?
                        Have just come from standing on my head, having searched FMP every which way. Can't find it.

Found a site giving official abbreviations for enumerators to use. For not known nk. However not seen UK used before as pob. It does seem Arthur's Thomas was unsure of dob and pob however in the other census.

It seems to fit the bill Arthur on many counts. Can't read the village that Thomas Rees was living in the 1851. Believe your Thomas was a barge haulier so maybe near canal/river.

Vera

Comment

Thanks for looking Vera. Thought I was going mad there for a while! Pontmeinpengam is the area. Nowadays Pengam in a part of Bedwellty right next to the River Rhymney.
                          Kat

Comment

I don't think UK would have been used as a pob - it was customary to put Scotland or Ireland as pob if born outside of England and Wales.
                            Although the 1801 union of Great Britain with the Kingdom of Ireland created the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, I don't think the term United Kingdom per se was widely used. Geographically it was the British Isles and additionally there was the wider political area of the British Empire.
                            I think it's a representation for "unknown."

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Bassaleg near Newport, where his wife was living in 1851, is about 15 miles south of Bedwellty so probably spent nights away from home while working - early mornings / late nights?
                              Kat

Comment

Hi Jay,
                                I had already emailed that very point across to my relatives in Kansas.

Vera,
                                What makes you think that Thomas was a Barge Haulier? Also we always understood that being described as a Haulier mean't that a person owned his own mode of transport. We always assumed that mean't Thomas had his own Cart. We have no evidence to back that up though.

Arthur

Comment

Arthur

See Kat's post #3 1861 census. Thought Thomas' occupation looked like barge haulier. Perhaps not on second look as the first letter doesn't match that of the B of Birmingham. ? what does it say

Vera

Comment

Forge Haulier???
                                    Kat

Comment

Could have worked in the mines:

These images are part of an activity to investigate and discover what it was like to work in Blaenavon in 1842
                                      Kat

Comment

Snap. FMP are good transcribers when they don't miss a bit. Wonder what that is. Must
                                        check

Vera

Comment

When I was working on this 3 years ago I had Thomas down as a Forge Haulier in the 1861 Census. In mining history it says that a Mine Haulier was the person who pulled/pushed the carts full of coal from the face to the entrance. Very hard back breaking work. Other members of the family were miners.

Arthur

Comment

Working...
                                          X