Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leicestershire christening

Hello,

My great-grandma, Ellen Cartwright, was born in Wigston on the 25th of March 1894. Can anyone find a christening for her? Her parents were William and Ellen.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

I can't see anything in the Leics records online, but I'm not sure if they include Wigston for that period.

According to the GRO index her mother's maiden name was Dobson, which you probably know, as Ellen senior's father was living with the family in 1901.

Comment

Yes, that's right. John died that same year. I just thought I'd check to see if she was christened. Thanks for your help!

Comment

I can't see a marriage for her parents - have you found one?

Comment

They don’t appear to have ever married, although Ellen senior alleges a wedding date of around 1887 on the 1911 Census. Their first child was born in 1890. Sadly the lack of a marriage means I know absolutely nothing of William’s parentage as there is no birth certificate for him (I’ve looked countless times).

Comment

On the census William Cartwright has the birth date as 1866 Newark. There are only a few birth registrations and baptisms in the Newark area. None in Newark at all. I searched between 1863-1869
            So I give you
            Norwell 25 Nov 1866 William Frederick son of William & Ann. ( I would discard this one as he seems to stay in the Bathley Muskham area)
            23 Apr 1865 William son of Samuel & Jessy
            Both of these would come under the Southwell district.
            Bothamsall 30 Jul 1865 William son of George & Anna
            Upton 3 July 1864 William son of William & Elizabeth
            Flintham 13 May 1866 William son of Edward and Sarah

There is a 13 month old buried at Upton 13 Dec 1864, sadly no parents named.
            Last edited by larkspur; 14-08-18, 14:27.

Comment

Both Williams are accounted for in 1891. I haven’t followed any of the others up but I’ll take a look. Thanks!

Comment

William Cartwright b. 1866 Flintham buried there in 1868. Leaving only the Bothomsall one, which isn’t very probable. Especially as he never married to give his father’s name.

Comment

Have you checked for Dobson baptisms if the parents didn't marry? Also they could have been non-conformists rather than C of E.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Their first known son was born in 1890, and was with them in 1891. There’s no civil registration for any marriage prior or after this so I presume one never happened. However, I’ve never found christenings for any of their children.

Comment

Have you looked for a baptism years later????

Sometimes children would be baptised before they started work, at around the age of 10-14, OR before they got married.

Plus they could also be non-conformist.
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Yep, can’t find anything.

Comment

What resources did you check so we don't go over the same ground
                          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

FreeREG, FamilySearch, and Ancestry. I doubt they were baptised as the Cartwright paper trail is very scarce. I have plenty on the Dobson side however.

Comment

FMP have Wigston Magna baptisms to browse. First couple of years showing nothing for Cartwright but as SylviaC says could be years later

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 14-08-18, 21:15.

Comment

My Cartwright ancestor married at a register office so possibly the family weren’t religious, but her sister Evelyn married in a church: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP44-QHS8

Comment

As did another child: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP4W-LQZ8

Comment

And another one: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP4W-5PNM

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                                      My Cartwright ancestor married at a register office so possibly the family weren’t religious, but her sister Evelyn married in a church: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP44-QHS8
                                      Marrying in a church wasn't necessarily a sign of being religious. If you lived in a rural area then the local church was usually within a short walking distance, whilst the registrar's office could be up to a 10/15 mile walk away.

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes, that’s true :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X