No announcement yet.

Born "at sea" and the British East India Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And just to note, Robert's army notes Reg. No. 2528, marriage is as to Estelle Phillips-Crawford

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you all so much. I know exactly which tree has that duff information on. My newly found cousin has a sister in law who decided to research his family tree for him and she was very slap happy in adding everything and knew nothing and it made a right mess. I told him it was wrong, he knew it was wrong and I have started again.
      She even messed up my cousin's tree, making my Dad's father his Grandfather and his uncle his Great Grandfather.

One thing of note, there is a repetition of Estelle on board a ship many years later as we discovered my Grandfather had a secret family with 5 siblings before he met my Nan. He was a terrible womaniser and as he was a lorry driver, he had a girl in every truck stop. It would seem that my Nan was one of the other women up in Yorkshire while he was based in Bristol. Anyway, the missus booted him out and he shacked up with my Nan, by which time, she had got my dad out of wedlock. One day, he went round to his secret family on the pretext of taking the kids out for the day. Instead, he dumped the 2 youngest at a catholic orphanage and refused to tell the mum where they were. Transportation was arranged to Australia but the boy took ill and was refused boarding to the ship and the girl, Estelle (named after her Grandma Estelle Crawford), aged only 8 was sent to Australia on her own. The mum fought to get the kids back but the authorities stonewalled. My dad had 5 siblings he never knew about. 2 of them are dead now, Estelle is still alive in Aus somewhere and 2 other brothers, the boy sent back to the orphanage has never been traced since and another brother who wants nothing to do with anyone.

Anyway, thank you so so much for all your help with this, it gives me loads of new avenue to explore to find the right one..and if the information about The Carvalho is correct, it may explain where my 10% Iberian peninsula DNA comes from!

Comment

Working...
      X