Fold3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold3

Free access to Commonwealth Military Collections on Fold3 until 9 August.

https://go.fold3.com/commonwealth?o_...mail+Campaigns
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Sort of... they want you to sign up for a free trial, careful you don’t accidentally choose to have sub continue when freebie period is over.

Comment

Thanks GL - you've confirmed my suspicions - and I'm too dozy to remember to cancel so I think I'll pass on the generous offer!

Comment

Strange - didn't ask me to sign up, as long as I only looked at the Commonwealth records - they all had "Free" next to them. On the page I gave a link to, enter a name and all the free records are highlighted in the results table, no request for sign-up at all.
        Linda

Comment

Also - since yesterday when you log in to your ancestry account there is a pop up advert (shows a battlefield and poppies type image) which claims they are offering free access to UK and Commonwealth Prisoner of War records. In small letters at the bottom it says Ts&Cs apply.
          I clicked through to see what this entailed and lo and behold all you get is the same sample page regardless of which record you click to see and a message says this is a premium record for which you need a fold3 membership. It is simply another way to get you to the same place as the free fold3 offer in the original post. If, like me you once logged in years ago when fold3 was free to use, when you login it gets smart and says whoa! we think you already have an ancestry account and it requires you to click a button and confirm a link between the two accounts. Once I had done the confirm, it then gave me free access - presumably till 9th August? I need to log in again to make sure I am not signing up to a continuing sub. I was late last night that I was logged in and was too tired to be bothered looking further.

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            Strange - didn't ask me to sign up, as long as I only looked at the Commonwealth records - they all had "Free" next to them. On the page I gave a link to, enter a name and all the free records are highlighted in the results table, no request for sign-up at all.
            I was requested to login in or register and all I was attempting to see was my Scottish uncle’s POW records from when he was imprisoned in Italy and then Poland.

Comment

The POW records are also available on FMP, in record set Prisoners of War 1715-1945. You might find him there.
              Linda

Comment

Thanks o girl but my sub there ran out two weeks ago. Will eventually get going again so it can wait a while yet.

Comment

Working...
                X