FMP subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP subs

my FMP sub is up soon, as i understand it, there are three new packages. i read on one blog you can keep your existing sub, instead of picking a new one? does anyone know anything about this?

i currently have the britain sub (now called "plus"), which includes newspapers. under the new model, you would need the worldwide version (now "pro") for newspapers, and the "plus" version includes all irish records.

seems if i want the newspapers i'd have to subscribe to the british newspapers' site for 80 pounds, which is still cheaper (even with my discount) than for fmp's "pro" version. i rarely use the newspapers, but would still like access to them.

No, you are OK to keep using you current British sub with newspapers. Or you were when I renewed last December. They don't make it too obvious but I think the email renewal reminder did make it clear that they weren't taking anything away from current members.
    I use the newspapers a lot and would have seriously considered not renewing if that facility had been removed. I think it would be bad business to disadvantage regular subscribers.
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 04-08-18, 23:01.

Comment

I don't understand why they moved newspapers to the pro sub. It's basically worldwide, and the newspapers are british.

Comment

Newspapers on FMP are worldwide .............. there's some access to American, Australian, etc.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          my FMP sub is up soon, as i understand it, there are three new packages. i read on one blog you can keep your existing sub, instead of picking a new one? does anyone know anything about this?

i currently have the britain sub (now called "plus"), which includes newspapers. under the new model, you would need the worldwide version (now "pro") for newspapers, and the "plus" version includes all irish records.

seems if i want the newspapers i'd have to subscribe to the british newspapers' site for 80 pounds, which is still cheaper (even with my discount) than for fmp's "pro" version. i rarely use the newspapers, but would still like access to them.
          I've just been in the same position and online chatted with FMP about my options. Outcome was that if I wanted to keep my Britain sub, rather than swap to one of the others, I could either allow my sub to auto-renew in which case I'd pay £101.96 (which includes a 15% discount) or, if auto-renew remained turned off, I'd only have 30 days from the renewal date to re-subscribe at the £101.96 price before the 15% discount would cease to be available.

HTH
          STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I also have auto-renew on FMP and my subscription is due this week. As it has been going down for the past two or three years (I paid £101.96 last year), I'm expecting that I'll get a discount again. If not, I'll have to contact them and see what they can offer. I use British Newspapers section quite regularly. I've not received any email.
            Last edited by jenoco; 05-08-18, 21:06.
            Jenny

Comment

i'm liking this. thanks for the replies. the current subscription works best for me.

Comment

On another forum a user has been complaining to FMP since the change over of sub levels. He used to have a month my month sub which now seemed to be withdrawn.
                After a great deal of investigations he discovered that that various sub levels and options appear in different web browsers and also at different times within those same browsers.
                He kept his complaint open and eventually got a reply from FMP that the reason for all the shenanigans was that they were trying to gauge which subs were the the most popular amongst users!
                Now call me cynical if you like but to me, the only real result of this is to make people buy a longer and more expensive sub than they really want because who would ever think that they would find different offers in different browsers? FMP have been going long enough to have a long standing database of which subs people have been buying.
                The reply from the company also said that should a user want to pay for a month’s sub as they need it, they should phone in and they would be happy to accommodate.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-08-18, 19:17.

Comment

Working...
                X