FMP Subscriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP Subscriptions

My current FMP sub is due to expire in a few days. Had an online chat with them and the best discount they're offering is 15%, which I can get by either turning auto-renew back on or, if I leave auto renew off, that discount will only be available for 30 days after the expiry date of my current sub.

Has anyone called their bluff and tried hanging out for a better offer? Or is 15% off the best I'm going to get?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

I usually leave it a month or nearer two then the emails arrive and I usually end up with the equivalent of 50-56% discount. No chasing or haggling necessary on my part. Could have something to do with me originally joining the USA version of the site on a Pioneer sub as I end up paying in dollars.
    The goal posts could well change this year though since the new pricing structure. Won’t have long to wait and find find out. Which reminds me, I’d better make sure they have not crept in and altered the don’t auto renew option. They are terribly guilty of doing that and denying it can happen. My button was set to do not auto renew last time I looked which was about 6 weeks ago.

UPDATE Just checked and button is ok. Sub runs out tomorrow and last year I paid US$72
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-07-18, 16:33.

Comment

GR used to do the same thing of changing the auto renew option then denying it happened, and still does.

I wonder if FMP has learnt from them? :D
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
        GR used to do the same thing of changing the auto renew option then denying it happened, and still does.

I wonder if FMP has learnt from them? :D
        I believe that they're the same firm, so probably have the same sneaky tricks!
        Margaret

Comment

Rusty .........

I know that!!

They didn't used to be the same company though, which is why I phrased it as I did.

GR used to be completely separate, once owned by ITV who bought it from the originators. FMP's parent company bought GR some years ago (~2010?), and had to go before the Competitions Board because at the time they would be combining the 3 top genealogical sites in the UK under one roof ........... FMP, Scotland's People and GR. Ancestry was the 4th.

Since then, things have progressed as I have long postulated re GR. In addition, the parent company no longer has Scotland's People under license from the Scottish Department.
          Last edited by Sylvia C; 27-07-18, 19:13.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

have bumped up the special offer, believe it still works

Comment

GR used to be really good, I liked the way that I could put a back-up tree on there about once a month and then would get 'hot matches', I made some good contacts through them but since they got taken over by whoever owns FMP they've gone downhill and I no longer bother with them, pity as I think that it could still work well under their old system. They were always a bit sneaky though with their subscription prices with different rates for different people.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                have bumped up the special offer, believe it still works
                You have bumped up the Ancestry one Val;)
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks peeps.

Looks like I'll have to auto-renew then. :(

cheers
                  STG
                  Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

oops sorry thought it was Ancestry she wanted

Comment

Working...
                    X