• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Burn Vickerman

born Beeford East Yorkshire c1884
    1891 at home in Beeford with widowed mother
    1901 working at North Dalton - horseman on a farm
    1908 married Annie Deering at North Frodingham
    1909 daughter Frances Burn Vickerman bp Beeford 1911 daughter Marion May bp Beeford
    1911 Hempholme, farm foreman - with wife Annie & 2 daughters
    1912 daughter Joyce born in Skirlaugh Reg Dist (Hempholme would be in this district I think)
    1913 July wife Annie bur at North Frodingham aged 26 yrs (All these villages are in East Yorkshire)

I can find no England/Wales remarriage or death for David, no schooling, deaths or marriages for the 3 girls.

I found a 1914 sailing to Portland Oregon for a 29 yr old David B Vickerman, labourer. No girls with him as far as I can see. Is this the same man? Can anyone find David and/or the girls in the USA, or perhaps in Canada?

Just looked again at the passenger list and David's entry may have a pencil line through it and a word looking suspiciously like "No / Now" added.

His brother Jim, wife and children sailed from England to Oz in 1926.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-07-18, 23:47.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

May be him in Australia, sorry I dont have worldwide now.

Comment

download.jpg
      with 3 children
      Francis
      Marian
      Joyce

Comment

that didnt work well

David
        Last name Vicarman
        Title MR
        Gender Male
        Age 36
        Birth year 1884
        Occupation FARM LABOURER
        Departure year 1920
        Departure day 19
        Departure month 8
        Departure port London
        Destination port Melbourne
        Destination MELBOURNE
        State Victoria
        Country Australia
        Destination country Australia
        Ship name Demosthenes
        Ship official number 129362
        Ship master's first name G A
        Ship master's last name ELRICK
        Shipping line ABERDEEN LINE
        City LONDON
        Ship destination port AUSTRALIA
        Ship destination country AUSTRALIA
        Ship registered tonnage 7034
        Number of passengers 979
        Record set Passenger Lists Leaving Uk 1890-1960
        Category Travel & migration
        Subcategory Passenger lists

Victoria Francis Vicarman MISS
        Victoria Marian Vicarman MISS
        Victoria Joyce Vicarman MISS

Comment

TNA_BT27_0925_00_0079_P_0005F.jpg

this is better

Comment

Val, many thanks for that - you may just have killed two birds with one stone! 1) That is my David, I'm sure , AND you've got him in OZ. 2)IF David didn't go to the US in 1914, then he could well have been the "D Vickerman" on the roll of honour I'm researching. (Not many candidates for that name and if it wasn't David B, then I'm a bit stumped.)

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

wonder where wifey was?

Comment

says died 1949 in Victoria there is a will for him but I cannot access that
                Last edited by Guest; 16-07-18, 00:39.

Comment

Val, you.re a superstar. David's wife died in 1913.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Who died in 1949, David?

So, he and the girls went first and then his brother Jim and family went later.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I don't have world wide either, but lots of references for me to chase up in that link you posted.
                      Pity it didn't give any links to UK WW1 records for David B, but that's just me being greedy!

Can't tell you what a happy bunny I am - I shall be away to my bed very shortly and shall be full of happy thoughts. The agenda for tomorrow will have to be changed so that I can crack on with compiling a profile for David B and get my thoughts into some semblance od order and then onto paper.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I only have FMP UK, so it won't let me play, but that is no problem. I think I've got the gist of his life in Oz from the Ancestry link and can sort that out when I'm next in town later in the week.
                        Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Night all!

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

did farmers have to serve in the war ?? you sound just like me ,I lie awake all excited, night then

Comment

Thanks for that, Elaine.

Sadly I haven't managed to find any documentation to link David Burn Vickerman with service in WW1. I have lots of information on an Alfred Vickerman, who I know was in France by 29 August 1914 and had worked on farms in the relevant area.
                              However, the initial on the roll of honour is quite definitely "D" and not "A."
                              David Burn Vickerman is the most likely candidate out of the few possible "D"s - BUT at first glance he has no connection with the village, or anyone in it. However, it has recently transpired that one of the other mystery men on the roll was distantly connected with David Burn - DBV's sister-in-law's brother, albeit his middle name (and nickname) has been transposed into a forename. I will have to check out all of DBV's siblings & those of his wife and try to find out if any of them were in the appropriate area - someone would have had to look after his three little girls when he was at work and certainly if he was in the army.
                              In the meantime I intend to write up profiles of both Vickerman men and put both sets of details in the book.

Still have eleven men to go (out of 81) - I think some will have to have a sheet simply reporting "I have been unable to find any information about this man."

Jay
                              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-07-18, 23:06.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Today's brought up a few surprises.
                                Seems older brother John Percy Vickerman, wife & dau sailed to Melbourne in 1913
                                David & girls in 1920
                                Mother & youngest brother in 1922
                                Brother Jim & family in 1926

A tree on Ancestry has Wilfred going first in 1912, but I can't view the FMP link.

And a brother of the deceased wife (John William Dearing) had gone to Canada in 1905 and then crossed into the USA.
                                So much for stay at home ag labs.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

this is that record in 1912 but its not very clear
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Guest; 17-07-18, 20:52.

Comment

oh its gone wrong

Comment

Working...
                                    X