No announcement yet.

Help identifying name of Place on back of photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Archives have register which was opened 1921-1973 It also contains names of nurses who qualified prior to this. Register is also on Ancestry.

From what I recall of hospital buildings in London back to 1960, I don't ever recall such signage attached.
    Some of the larger teaching hospitals have merged in recent years. Previously they would be part of a Group with smaller hospitals/clinics attached. In the case of St Mary's, Praed St, due to apparently snobbishness, the Governors were not keen to be linked to Paddington General in the Harrow Road

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 15-07-18, 14:33.

Comment

Thank you Vera/ It is difficult finding a picture of St Barts around 1920 but I have discovered that Barts was destroyed by fire in 1900 and only the Tower was left standing and that does look like an old Tower in my picture? I will have a look at the NA Registers. The Welcome Institute also has many records. I have an Ancestry sub but they were not coming up with anything on her name but I will try again.

Janet

Comment

The building looks more industrial than hospital, remembering that many hospitals inherited workhouse buildings.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Did you know that nurses registrations are on FMP? Not sure which years or nurses they cover.
          Anne

Comment

I agree with UJ. Perhaps she was a factory nurse? I do not think that is Bart's , unless it is round the back, lol. The ground appears to slope.

OC

Comment

there are some photos on here might help
              This site is a guide to writing-intensive teaching and learning. Developed in Queen Mary, University of London, it is funded and promoted by the LTSN Generic Centre. It is for all academic staff interested in different approaches to teaching and learning.

Comment

Thank you Val. I have sent an e mail to their arcives and they have replied back to say they will respond to my request within a few days.
                So hopefully that should either tell me ys or no that she was there or not.

Thanks everybody for your input. Yes I had thought it might be an industrial place/factory as it does look a bit grim and yes many hospitals were previous workhouses. She eventually met a Surgeon in London and married him.

I have been on to both FMP and Ancestry but unable to find anything. I do find it difficult to negotiate specific records on ancestry and of course with such a popular name it threw up a couple of thousand and even trying to cut down by knowing what I want did not help me! I still seemed to have to go through all the census & BMD which I do not want because I already have all that information. I will see if Barts comes back with something or nothing.

Janet

Comment

Val

I am just reading the arcival material from Barts Archives and looking at these pictures I realise I have some similar ones in this album I have and I have not yet got around to uploading them. Some of them are W War 1 and a particular one I have is of a group of soldiers with one on crutches and there are several with nurses in the pictures. Some I thought may be W War 2 but now I am not so sure. She had two brothers and possibly a nephew in W War 1 and one of them was a stretcher bearer. It looks as though I have more information than I realise but I am sure somewhere in those photos is a family member or members but there is nobody left to ask!

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 16-07-18, 10:21.

Comment

Working...
                  X