George Alexander Wilson, born 1842

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Alexander Wilson, born 1842

John Wilson and Grace Barnett had a son, George Alexander Wilson, whose birth was registered 1842 M Quarter in ISLE OF WIGHT Volume 08 Page 209.
    He was baptised 29 June 1842 in Freshwater.
    Next sighting is with parents and siblings in 1851 at 22 Morpeth Street, Bethnal Green, London. (Name recorded as Willson.)

After that, I can't find anything. He isn't with the rest of the family in 1861 when they are at 1 Alma Terrace, Maidhurst Road, Bethnal Green, London.

Can anyone help to track him forward?
    Thanks

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

I have tried

Nothing seems to fit in England and have tried marriages all over the world but can't pinpoint him
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I wondered if he had died?

Comment

you dont think this may be him do you ? sorry I dont have worldwide anymore
        George Willson
        Birth
        England abt 1843
        Residence
        city Cattaraugus
        New York, State Census, 1892
        1890S

Comment

I'm wondering who Christian/Christina E is. Not with the family on the 1851. Did he/she stay behind in Ireland?

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            I'm wondering who Christian/Christina E is. Not with the family on the 1851. Did he/she stay behind in Ireland?

Vera
            She's a visitor with a neighbouring family in 1851 (from memory - at least I think it's her, albeit it says born Cumberland).
            I have her in 1871 too and she is the witness on some of her sister's weddings in the 1860s. (1871 she is is in Whitechapel, London, England. Recorded as Christina Wilson, 26. The age is a bit out, but she was born Ireland, and the occupation of linen draper's assistant ties in with occupation recorded in the 1861 census.)
            I haven't been able to pin her down definitively after the 1871 census although she may be the witness on my 2g aunts wedding (ie her cousin Maggie Hoey to Robert Hill in Newtownards on 31 August 1871. (Although the witness signature is Christian G Wilson whereas she is Christian Elizabeth Wilson...) Unfortunately, there are far more Christian Wilson's knocking about than you would expect, especially when you also factor in variants of Christina and Christiana!

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              I wondered if he had died?
              That's the obvious answer but I can't find a suitable death for him between 1851 and 1861. I've used FreeBMD confining search to George Wilson deaths in London, Middlesex and Essex. No idea as to what his occupation might be either, as he is a scholar in 1851.

I've been looking at the George's in this family again. George Alexander doesn't repeat in the family other than this: his sister Elizabeth Jane Wilson married an Edmund Nicholls and they had a son and daughter. At some point in the 1870s this family decamped to Belfast and the parents then went by the name of Perrin - no idea what's going on with that! However, the son and daughter kept the name Nicholls and when they in turn married in Belfast and Ardglass respectively in the 1890s, they called their eldest sons George Alexander Wilson Nicholls and George Alexander Milton Leathem respectively.
              So I wonder if George Alexander Wilson played some role in his nephew and niece's life? Clutching at straws I know but I am running out of ideas on GAW 1842.

Christine
              Researching:

Comment

Two sisters naming their children after a brother sounds more like possibly a much loved brother who died in sad circumstances? Could he have died at sea going over to Ireland or something perhaps?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Christine. I definitely was clutching at straws with Christina, thinking she may have developed from George. I can see her now visiting Mrs Taylor.

There is a George Wilson inBethlem House in 1853 but he seems to have recovered.

Can't see him needing to emigrate being the son of a Customs Officer. Note he does not act as witness at the weddings of his sisters.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    Two sisters naming their children after a brother sounds more like possibly a much loved brother who died in sad circumstances? Could he have died at sea going over to Ireland or something perhaps?
                    Chrissie,
                    It's his niece and nephew, not any of his sisters, calling their children George Alexander so the name has skipped a generation. His sister Elizabeth Jane had one son who was called Edmund after his father. It's the skipping a generation bit that made me think he might still have been some sort of presence in his nephew and niece's lives, rather than a dead uncle who they had just heard about from their mother...
                    Christine
                    Researching:

Comment

Thanks Christine. I definitely was clutching at straws with Christina, thinking she may have developed from George. I can see her now visiting Mrs Taylor.

There is a George Wilson inBethlem House in 1853 but he seems to have recovered.

Vera
                      Hi Vera,
                      I haven't seen that 1853 record. What does it say?
                      Thanks,
                      Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 09-07-18, 10:16.
                      Researching:

Comment

Maybe, borders on Bethnal Green but age is out.

Ancestry
                        London C/E Deaths and Burials

George Wilson aged 8.8
                        Burial 09/07/1854
                        Parish of St George in the East, Tower Hamlets

Living at Mary Street

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                          Hi Vera,
                          I haven't seen that 1853 record. What does it say?
                          Thanks,
                          Christine
                          Ancestry
                          UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Register

George Wilson
                          Admitted 25/05/1853
                          Bethnal House

Discharged 09/01/1855. Not improved

No dob or age recorded

Vera

Comment

When were the niece and nephew born? I am wondering if he could have been their godparents - in which case that would pinpoint the earliest dates at which he could have died.
                            Have you looked for a possible probate entry, as perhaps if he died unmarried, he left legacies to both of the children?

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                              When were the niece and nephew born? I am wondering if he could have been their godparents - in which case that would pinpoint the earliest dates at which he could have died.
                              Have you looked for a possible probate entry, as perhaps if he died unmarried, he left legacies to both of the children?

Jay
                              Thanks Janet - that's a thought...

Nephew was John Wilson Nicholls
                              Born 15 Mar 1865 • Mile End Old Town, London
                              Name: NICHOLLS, JOHN WILSON mmn WILSON GRO Reference: 1865 J Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN Volume 01C Page 573
                              Baptised
                              03 Jan 1869 • Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London, England. No godparents recorded in these records - a pity, as he is baptised on the same day as a few cousins.

Niece was Emily Gertrude Nicholls
                              27 Dec 1872 • King's Norton, Worcestershire
                              Name: NICHOLLS, EMILY GERTRUDE mmn WILSON GRO Reference: 1873 M Quarter in KINGS NORTON Volume 06C Page 463.
                              Think this is her, given birthplace of Birmingham in 1911 Ireland census (as Emily Leathem) Exact DOB from baptism record.

Baptism
                              1 Jun 1873 • St Stephen, Tredegar Road, Bow, London - once again, godparents not recorded in these records.

Christine
                              Last edited by Karamazov; 09-07-18, 14:46.
                              Researching:

Comment

No, C of E godparents would not have been recorded in the bp register as long ago as that. However, RC sponsors would have been. I was thinking more along the lines of teasing out a "special" connection between uncle & nephew & niece.
                                Very recently a friend of mine attended the baptism of his god-son's son. He has always had a "special " relationship and kept in regular touch with his god-son. He felt very honoured to be asked to stand as one of the godfathers for the new baby, but declined as he felt he probably hadn't enough years left to see the child safely through to adulthood and employment, and therefore unable to fulfil his commitment and responsibilities.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Just throwing this one in as there is an NI connection.

PRONI Will Catalogue

George Alexander Wilson
                                  Hill Cottage
                                  Aghadowey
                                  Londonderry

School Attendance Officer

Died O8/04/1924
                                  Admin Belfast 22/08/1924 to

Anna Stuart Harvey Wilson, Widow £3043

Thought the above could be 1911 George Alexander Wilson
                                  Aged 9, son of Robert John 38, Farmer
                                  House 1 Aghadowey, Londonderry but there is a Will for Robert John 1936 with Probate to George Alexander

Vera

Comment

Thanks for everyone's efforts with this. There are a few George Alexander Wilson's buried in Belfast City Cemetery but having tracked them as best I could (eg their marriages, none seem to have had a father, John.) I have drawn a blank. I also looked at all the PRONI and NAI will calendars but nothing coming up.
                                    In summary -
                                    - he is 19 in 1861 but not with the rest of his family,
                                    - his name does not come up in connection to any of his sisters after 1851 (eg witness at their marriages in the 1860s)
                                    - he didn't have any brothers so can't even guess as to a possible occupation, other than that his father was a coastguard initially before graduating to being a customs officer,
                                    - I can't find a death between 1851 and 1861 that seems to fit - although I have confined death searches to London, Middlesex and Essex on FreeBMD, but basically he could be anywhere...

Are there any other options in UK/Ireland to pursue? Worldwide? Would anyone be willing to look for a possible death announcement in the papers? Other than that, I'm out of ideas and close to conceding defeat...

Christine
                                    Researching:

Comment

Just throwing this one in as there is an NI connection.

PRONI Will Catalogue

George Alexander Wilson
                                      Hill Cottage
                                      Aghadowey
                                      Londonderry

School Attendance Officer

Died O8/04/1924
                                      Admin Belfast 22/08/1924 to

Anna Stuart Harvey Wilson, Widow £3043

Thought the above could be 1911 George Alexander Wilson
                                      Aged 9, son of Robert John 38, Farmer
                                      House 1 Aghadowey, Londonderry but there is a Will for Robert John 1936 with Probate to George Alexander

Vera
                                      Not following the logic here Vera - are you saying you think the GAW who died 1924 was the 9 year old in 1911? Seems unlikely that he would have accumulated £3000+ just 13 years later...
                                      Plus if there is any Irish connection it is likely to be in County Down (mother born Strangford, father a coastguard in Ardglass at time of their 1836 marriage in Ardglass) or in Belfast where sister Elizabeth Jane ended up with her family some time in the 1870s.

Christine
                                      Last edited by Karamazov; 10-07-18, 10:57.
                                      Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                                        Not following the logic here Vera - are you saying you think the GAW who died 1924 was the 9 year old in 1911? Seems unlikely that he would have accumulated £3000+ just 13 years later...
                                        Plus if there is any Irish connection it is likely to be in County Down (mother born Strangford, father a coastguard in Ardglass at time of their 1836 marriage in Ardglass) or in Belfast where sister Elizabeth Jane ended up with her family some time in the 1870s.

Christine
                                        At first I thought the 9 year old GAW could have been the GAW who died aged 24. Then noted Probate was granted to him and brother in the Will of their father Robert John who died 1936. So not likely to be 9 year old GAW who died 1924 unless will was not changed.

As you say connection for NI more likely to be area with family links but in the absence of anything else a possibility.

I didn't stretch to the report of the chap who walked into Bethnal Green Police Station and confessed to the murder of one George Wilson many years previously when working with him in the gold fields of Australia.

Vera
                                        Last edited by vera2013; 10-07-18, 12:47.

Comment

Working...
                                        X