George Alexander Wilson, born 1842

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    I didn't stretch to the report of the chap who walked into Bethnal Green Police Station and confessed to the murder of one George Wilson many years previously when working with him in the gold fields of Australia.

Vera
    The account of that murder 1857/8 can be read here:

However, a witness stated he thought Wilson was a man in his thirties...your G.A.W would have been abt 16 yrs in 1858

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
      The account of that murder 1857/8 can be read here:

However, a witness stated he thought Wilson was a man in his thirties...your G.A.W would have been abt 16 yrs in 1858
      Thanks for posting the link. Thankfully, as you say, not my GAW.

Funnily enough though, the name of the alleged murderer, George Dyer, is the name of another person in my tree, who I am nearly certain was my 2g grandfather's brother - I just haven't been able to prove it conclusively. My George Dyer (if he was indeed mine) has a good alibi though - not sure what he was up to in 1858, but by 1870, he was selling fancy birds, ferrets, etc from a shop on Academy Street, Belfast so not confessing to a murder 12 years later in London. Still gave me a bit of a shock though when his name was highlighted in the article!

Christine.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I've had another pointer behind the scenes from Caroline (Frazzled) who says:

There is a marriage 1873 Q1 1c 393 Bethnal Green, the people getting married are George Edward Clark, George Wilson, Amelia Sophia Lavender and Rebecca Poulter. George E Clark definitely married Amelia as I have found them in subsequent censuses. Therefore George Wilson married Rebecca Poulter. I cannot find them on any census returns. I also can't find any Wilson children with MMN Poulter with the right first names for the parents.

Can anyone find out anything more about this 1873 marriage or anything further on this George and Rebecca after 1873 to confirm whether it may be my GAW?

Thanks,
        Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 17-07-18, 14:51.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          I've had another pointer behind the scenes from Caroline (Frazzled) who says:

There is a marriage 1873 Q1 1c 393 Bethnal Green, the people getting married are George Edward Clark, George Wilson, Amelia Sophia Lavender and Rebecca Poulter. George E Clark definitely married Amelia as I have found them in subsequent censuses. Therefore George Wilson married Rebecca Poulter. I cannot find them on any census returns. I also can't find any Wilson children with MMN Poulter with the right first names for the parents.

Can anyone find out anything more about this 1873 marriage or anything further on this George and Rebecca after 1873 to confirm whether it may be my GAW?

Thanks,
          Christine
          PS I've just noticed this 1873 marriage reg is as George WILLSON.
          Researching:

Comment

Could be calling him self Joseph

Ancestry
            London England C/E Marriages and Banns

09/02/1873

St James the Great Bethnal Green

Joseph Willson signs George, Full Age, Bachelor, ? Farrier, Abode Bethnal Green, Father John George Wilson dec

Rebecca Poulter, Full Age, Spinster, Abode Bethnal Green Father William Dec

Witnesses William and Sarah Dennis

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 17-07-18, 20:59.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
              Could be calling him self Joseph

Ancestry
              London England C/E Marriages and Banns

09/02/1873

St James the Great Bethnal Green

Joseph Willson signs George, Full Age, Bachelor, ? Farrier, Abode Bethnal Green, Father John George Wilson dec

Rebecca Poulter, Full Age, Spinster, Abode Bethnal Green Father William Dec

Witnesses William and Sarah Dennis

Vera
              Thanks for looking Vera but I don't think this is him - no Joseph's in the family, father was always just plain John Wilson, the LL in surname, plus witnesses' names not familiar.
              All out of ideas now...
              Christine
              Researching:

Comment

I would have thought the one Vera found was a good bet, as the signature certainly looks like George. Maybe the name Joseph was the vicar's mistake?
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 25-07-18, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  I would have thought the one Vera found was a good bet, as the signature certainly looks like George. Maybe the name Joseph was the vicar's mistake?
                  I had a look at the original image when I was at the library yesterday (I don't have an active Ancestry sub). Yes, perhaps vicar's mistake recording him as Joseph when he clearly signs as George WILLSON. My gut feeling is still that this isn't my man but I can't find anything further on this couple to rule them in or out, as mentioned in yellow section of post 24.

Christine
                  Last edited by Karamazov; 28-07-18, 10:09.
                  Researching:

Comment

Working...
                  X