Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birth Certificates - Cost

isnt the GRO still doing the PDF files for a cheaper rate. Think it was £6 instead of the usual £9. Not ordered any for a while but was quite happy with the pdf that I ordered, although it didnt help much with my search..lol

Quote Originally Posted by kylejustin View Post
    Guy,

Surely an entry of an adopted person (presuming the person in question was adopted) would be subject to privacy laws?

Laws are different in australia vs england, but in australia all births are sealed for 100 years, unless the person is deceased. But the indexes are not public in such a case.and they still make it difficult to access them, especially if living people are mentioned on them.
    No, both entries of an adopted person (assuming her/his birth was registered prior to the adoption) are open and may be purchased by anyone in the world for whatever reason they wish.
    It should be remembered that in UK registers the two registrations would not be linked and other than the original carrying a marginal note, adopted, there would be no indication that an adoption had taken place. In the past some Registrars would not transcribe that marginal entry on any later copy certificates supplied.

Do not forget privacy laws were initiated to protect the public against Government interference in their private lives not to censor information, there is no place for such censorship in a free country.

Cheers
    Guy
    A forum is a place where ideas & views can be exchanged
    I read what others write & add my view or idea based on a lifetime of research
    Some people agree with me some disagree that is their prerogative & valued
    If I add a previous posting it is to remind forum users of the post I am replying to
    If I am addressing a particular person I will address them by name
    If not I am making a general comment to no one in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Kyle

In the UK, adoption registers are entirely separate from birth registers. You can look at the indexes to either, because there is no way to connect a birth to an adoption. We have never been able to look at adoption certificates without purchasing them first.

The GRO will not let you browse actual birth certificates. Neither will local Register offices, despite what Guy says. My own local (Cornwall) has a statement on its website to that effect. They get around any possible "awkwardness" with the law by charging £42 per hour for you to sit in the presence of the Registrar while you look at one particular register, by appointment only. As we now only have ONE full time Registrar to cover the whole county, this makes the whole thing impossible, which is what they want, of course.

OC
    "They get around any possible "awkwardness" with the law", you mean they admit they are breaking the law and try to avoid being sued by exploiting the public by charging such a fee.
    If they were up here in Yorkshire the Registrar would have been fined by now.
    Cheers
    Guy
    A forum is a place where ideas & views can be exchanged
    I read what others write & add my view or idea based on a lifetime of research
    Some people agree with me some disagree that is their prerogative & valued
    If I add a previous posting it is to remind forum users of the post I am replying to
    If I am addressing a particular person I will address them by name
    If not I am making a general comment to no one in particular.