Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of Frank Pepper, 1873

Hello,

Frank was born on the 14th of August 1873. His parents said he was born in Ontario, Canada, but his birth was not registered there - unlike his sisters in 1871. He says he was born in the USA on the 1901 and 1911 censuses. His parents were John Hinson and Eliza Pepper. Can anyone find a birth registration in the United States or even at sea, on the way back to England?

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam

"Any record made of a birth or death at sea from 1837 onwards was sent directly to the General Register Office and recorded in the Marine Register." (taken from the National Archives.) So, you would need to look at the relevant index, which is only a list of names, and then, to get further details, you would need to send for the certificate.
    With regards to births in the United States, there is no central register for American vital events. Each state has its own records, which must be searched separately, so a bit of a tall order as by 1871 there were almost 40 states and also other territories(!)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

No luck with finding Frank's pob. I note that altho twins Mabel and Minnie were b 23/08/1871, their births were not registered until 25/06/1872. The family may well have been heading home from Ontario before Frank was registered.
      Have looked at New York mainly, Mass and New Jersey but nothing showing for Frank.

Can see when they left UK and when they arrived in NY but no records I can see of departures from USA and UK arrivals not recorded until 1878 by which time they had already returned.

Vera

Comment

I'm a bit confused. If his father was Hinson and his mother Pepper is his name Frank Hinson (not Pepper) or was he born out of wedlock?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie from what I found the father was John Hinson Pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            Ah, thanks Val, I understand now. Hinson sounded like a surname, so I misunderstood.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              Little tip for Adam in view of Chrissie's post & Val's reply
              perhaps "John Hinson Pepper and his wife Eliza" would have clarified the surname of the children. I sometimes also add (nee ****) after the mother's surname.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for all of that! I had the birth dates for the sisters, but not when they were registered. And yes, sorry, I was just giving forenames and middle names.

Comment

Working...
                X