Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register

Hi all

Beside the entry for one of my relatives on the 1939 Register, in the "See Instructions" column is written what looks like: "27-5-44" and below that "8e2 (YASA- 1953 3 17) " The first word may not be "8e2", it could be "see" - it's a bit hard to decipher. Would anyone know any more information about this or what it could stand for?

Many thanks

Can you post the bit of the image so we can please?

Comment

George 1939 register.pngGeorge 1939 register.png

This is the image, though you have to click on it to make it bigger, couldn't upload it any better sorry

thanks
      Last edited by Felix; 24-06-18, 00:33.

Comment

The word is See and rest is as you already noted. I have not a clue, sorry, about what YASA etc. means but I would guess the date the register was altered was 27.5.44

Comment

Is this the record of a woman whose surname has been altered to her new married name? It would help if we could see the whole line. I think the letters may be a new NHS number and the date may be the date the register was altered for her change of surname.

If that is not the case was there some other alteration of the name or surname?

Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 24-06-18, 13:20.

Comment

It reads like a cross-reference to me. If it was a male, could it be to do with a man later entering the military? When the register was compiled, those already in the forces, or called up, were not included. My father is not on the register - he was in the TA and was called up for service the day war was declared, although he didn't go overseas until 1942.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks all for the replies.

The entry is for a man, 27 years old when the 1939 Register was taken and not yet in the military. His wife's name is below his on the register, but blacked out (though I'm not sure why since she has now been deceased for 14 years) and their son had already been sent to Gloucestershire to grandparents.

I think the YASA must then have something to do with a later military reference - though I've checked all the lists of WW2 acronyms I could find and no luck yet. Will have another ponder.

Once again thanks for the replies - much appreciated as always

Comment

Could 1953317 possibly be a service number for the Royal Engineers? thanks all

Comment

And would anyone be able to confirm that "Y" was the letter used on governmental records to denote that a soldier had been wounded or was ill?

Cheers

Comment

Where did they live? ASA is the code on the 1939 for St Pancras, London.
                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hi ozgirl

thanks so much for the info.

they lived in Brent Street, Hendon in 1939. However, towards the end of the war - by 1944 I think - they moved to Warren Street, St Pancras. So yes, ASA.

Cheers
                      Last edited by Felix; 25-06-18, 13:19.

Comment

Working...
                      X