Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning negatives into photos

If you can't find it let me know and I can post it on to you.
    Margaret

Thanks Margaret. I looked in Smiths on Saturday no luck, done the local shops yesterday. no luck ...going to try and scan some negatives tomorrow see how that goes,! daughter said to try that, don't know if it will help lol.....

Lilly

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly the flower View Post
    Hi Has anyone done this?, need some advise, I have found loads and I mean loads of negatives to many to take to the shop, so had a google and you can buy machines to scanner the negatives in to photos/usb, has anyone done this what is the best machine to buy, I don't think my printer would be much good although it has a scanner....would like some advise from someone who might know more about doing this than me what is the best scanner/machine to buy, anyone tried and tested any???.... thanks.....

Lilly
    Before thinking about buying a scanner take a look at this tutorial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gLT0SWzpQ

You could find the problem is the software you use to manipulate the digital image not the scanner used.

Cheers
    Guy
    A forum is a place where ideas & views can be exchanged
    I read what others write & add my view or idea based on a lifetime of research
    Some people agree with me some disagree that is their prerogative & valued
    If I add a previous posting it is to remind forum users of the post I am replying to
    If I am addressing a particular person I will address them by name
    If not I am making a general comment to no one in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Before thinking about buying a scanner take a look at this tutorial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gLT0SWzpQ

You could find the problem is the software you use to manipulate the digital image not the scanner used.

Cheers
    Guy
    PS if you want an indepth tutorial see
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq1C4eVxWO8
    Last edited by Guy; 26-06-18 at 07:48.
    A forum is a place where ideas & views can be exchanged
    I read what others write & add my view or idea based on a lifetime of research
    Some people agree with me some disagree that is their prerogative & valued
    If I add a previous posting it is to remind forum users of the post I am replying to
    If I am addressing a particular person I will address them by name
    If not I am making a general comment to no one in particular.

Hi Guy and thank you I had a look at the videos and they look very interesting, only problem with about two hundred negatives to do , I could be gone some time.... I think that is why I need some sort of 'special scanner' to do them, I will have a go anyway...thanks....and least I know its possible to do it at home.....

Lilly
    Last edited by Lilly the flower; 26-06-18 at 14:22.

If you change your mind and want to look at the article let me know and I can easily post it on to you.
    Margaret

Until a few years ago, I was an avid film photographer. I'd develop my own films (mainly b/w), but rather than traditional printing - which needed a dark room, I'd digitally scan them. I scanned many hundreds of negatives - 35mm, 120 film, etc.

I used an Epson Perfection flatbed scanner. I shopped around for old stock of "last years" model, , and purchased an Epson Perfection V500. I think that I paid around £130 for it. It came with software for Windows. I used it extensively. Not as fast as these cheap dedicated negative scanners, but I could scan pretty good images - printable:

Samples:

I sometimes also developed very old film - found loaded in old film cameras bought at car boot sales. And I used it to scan some very scratched and worn negatives taken by a late uncle on his tour of Korea with the Royal Norfolks:

I'd touch up and enhance slightly using GIMP open source image manipulation software (a free "photoshop" alternative.

If you don't mind spending one to two hundred quid - I'd suggest investing in one of the Epson Perfection series of flatbed scanners. I'm not sure if the V550 and V600 are later models. Check that they have masks supplied for the size of film frame that you are using.