Turning negatives into photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning negatives into photos

Hi Has anyone done this?, need some advise, I have found loads and I mean loads of negatives to many to take to the shop, so had a google and you can buy machines to scanner the negatives in to photos/usb, has anyone done this what is the best machine to buy, I don't think my printer would be much good although it has a scanner....would like some advise from someone who might know more about doing this than me what is the best scanner/machine to buy, anyone tried and tested any???.... thanks.....

Lilly

I have an old Epson RX640 scanner/copier/printer which I am holding on to till it goes to the great
    techno park in the sky. It has a slide/negative carrier in the lid and I love it. You pull down the white plastic bit and underneath are bits for slides etc. The only downside is that it is too old for built in WiFi. I tried a few years ago to get an updated model but I could not find one. I wrote to Epson who said they no longer provide slide carriers in any of their all-in-one machines. I tried posting on forums in computer magazines for a recommendation of another manufacturer but still drew a blank.
    A few months ago I spent £25 on a slide/negative coping device in Aldi. I have tried it out and while is was easy to set up, the adjustments available are basic and I don’t think the quality of the scan was as good as I get from the Epson. I will have to dig out one of the slides I have already done and do it on the new gizmo then compare results. The two slides I tested it with may actually be as fuzzy as the result and the gizmo is ok.

Comment

I got a scanner for some old slides for about £25 off Amazon, it was rubbish, sharp clear images came out blurred and poorly coloured, it's called 7 Film Scanner made in China, so that's one to avoid. Don't know why it's still in the cupboard, it needs to be binned. My younger son had them copied onto disc for me as a Christmas present instead.

Comment

Thanks ladies it doesn't sound very promising at the moments from your experiences, I will have to do some more research, I can't believe with the technology we have today its not possible.....I mean we sent men to the moon right?...;)

Lilly

Comment

Allegedly LOL

Comment

I'm sure there will be something suitable on the market, I went for a low priced gadget which is probably why it was so poor.

Comment

This is what I bought, realise from brand name that it was Lidl not Aldi. There is a name of an importer in Germany but nowhere on it, on box or in manual does it say where it was made.
              1F2DFCCB-76F5-4520-902A-A7D9854EEE7E.jpg

Comment

Yes you are right there must be something on the market, and your comments have helped, I am checking out amazon at the moment, and reading all of the reviews, some are better than others, I might try the INTEY Film Scanner High Resolution Slide and Photo Scanner for Negatives and Slides Black at £42.99 that looks promising and quite straight forward to use, I might order it and try it, I can always send it back ;) if I can just see what these negatives are I can scanner them then any I want either print or take to the shop....I will let you know how I get on. still open to suggestions and advise....thanks once again ladies

Lilly

Comment

There is an article on this in this weeks People's Friend. On page 63 if you want to take a crafty peek without buying!
                  Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, I am popping into town tomorrow so I will have a crafty look see if its worth buying, can't see to find it on line...

Lilly

Comment

If you can't find it let me know and I can post it on to you.
                      Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. I looked in Smiths on Saturday no luck, done the local shops yesterday. no luck ...going to try and scan some negatives tomorrow see how that goes,! daughter said to try that, don't know if it will help lol.....

Lilly

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                          Hi Has anyone done this?, need some advise, I have found loads and I mean loads of negatives to many to take to the shop, so had a google and you can buy machines to scanner the negatives in to photos/usb, has anyone done this what is the best machine to buy, I don't think my printer would be much good although it has a scanner....would like some advise from someone who might know more about doing this than me what is the best scanner/machine to buy, anyone tried and tested any???.... thanks.....

Lilly
                          Before thinking about buying a scanner take a look at this tutorial

You could find the problem is the software you use to manipulate the digital image not the scanner used.

Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                            Before thinking about buying a scanner take a look at this tutorial

You could find the problem is the software you use to manipulate the digital image not the scanner used.

Cheers
                            Guy
                            PS if you want an indepth tutorial see
                            Last edited by Guy; 26-06-18, 07:48.
                            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hi Guy and thank you I had a look at the videos and they look very interesting, only problem with about two hundred negatives to do , I could be gone some time.... I think that is why I need some sort of 'special scanner' to do them, I will have a go anyway...thanks....and least I know its possible to do it at home.....

Lilly
                              Last edited by Lilly the flower; 26-06-18, 14:22.

Comment

If you change your mind and want to look at the article let me know and I can easily post it on to you.
                                Margaret

Comment

Until a few years ago, I was an avid film photographer. I'd develop my own films (mainly b/w), but rather than traditional printing - which needed a dark room, I'd digitally scan them. I scanned many hundreds of negatives - 35mm, 120 film, etc.

I used an Epson Perfection flatbed scanner. I shopped around for old stock of "last years" model, , and purchased an Epson Perfection V500. I think that I paid around £130 for it. It came with software for Windows. I used it extensively. Not as fast as these cheap dedicated negative scanners, but I could scan pretty good images - printable:

Samples:

I sometimes also developed very old film - found loaded in old film cameras bought at car boot sales. And I used it to scan some very scratched and worn negatives taken by a late uncle on his tour of Korea with the Royal Norfolks:

I'd touch up and enhance slightly using GIMP open source image manipulation software (a free "photoshop" alternative.

If you don't mind spending one to two hundred quid - I'd suggest investing in one of the Epson Perfection series of flatbed scanners. I'm not sure if the V550 and V600 are later models. Check that they have masks supplied for the size of film frame that you are using.

Comment

Working...
                                  X