Kindle not detecting wifi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindle not detecting wifi

Bought a book for my Kindle, but it won't connect to wifi, just thinks it is scanning and there are no networks detected. Son has also spent half an hour trying various things eg turning it off and on, turning router off and on, checking I have the latest updates, (kindle 4th & 5th generation, all correct).

Any other suggestions please?

Connect it directly to the computer? I think mine came eith a wire to do that.
    Anne

Comment

Try going on to your computer and open the router settings. Check to see which devices it thinks are on your network. If your Kindle is not listed, you should them check whether or not your router is broadcasting openly or locked/hidden from view. If it's the latter, temporarily open it and then your Kindle should find it. Enter the network password on your Kindle if asked and check the "connect automatically" box if you see that option. As soon as you are up and running, change the settings on your router to locked/hidden again. Your Kindle should now show as part of your network and will connect whenever you ask it to. Then come off your router settings page and shut down your pc.
      I used to have my Kindle permanently connected to the wi-fi till I realised that doing so ate the battery like the very devil so I started to disconnect unless I wanted to download books. I usually searched the Kindle store and purchased using my laptop as it was a better experience than using the Kindle itself then I'd switch on the Kindle wifi to download my purchases.

Comment

Thankyou - in view of what you say about the wifi using so much battery I will just download the book via by connecting by the cable direct to my pc. I don't use the kindle much but when we are out and about at weekends it gives me something to do whenever my OH disappears for a smoke and ends up chatting outside to the other smokers while I sit in the pub/café/restaurant on my own!

Comment

Does your kindle not have a 3G facility? I rarely use the wifi connection and purchase books from Amazon via the 3G facility, which can be used anywhere there is a mobile phone connection.

Beverley

Comment

No, it's not one of the newer ones.

Comment

Have you tried resetting your Kindle, just push the off switch (at the bottom) and hold it for about 20 seconds, may be a few more, it should then completely shut down and reload, my kindle is an old one, but seems to need resetting every now and again, I guess it just doing updates....worth a go.... It won't do it any harm, and you won't lose anything.......

Lilly
              Last edited by Lilly the flower; 19-06-18, 12:19.

Comment

Thanks, one of the first things I did was to turn it right off and on again, to no effect. I've downloaded the book via the cable attached to my laptop (ordered the wrong one in the series I'm reading though so will have to buy the 4th book to read first!)

Comment

That's annoying did you just turn it off or reset it (there is a different) failing that have a look on Amazon, type in Fire and Kindle support in the subject box that will take you to their help page, that might be able to solve your problem, annoying having to download via cable every time...good luck....;)

Lilly

Comment

Thankyou

Comment

Working...
                    X