Where are they

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are they

I must admit I thought I would have an easier time with the name Habgood than I am. We have a family

John Habgood b1846 Manchester
    wife Harriet b1852 Wrenthorpe
    son Arthur b 1877 Leeds

I want to find them on the 1881 census and up to 1890.
    I cannot find them on the census so cannot follow up dates after that. John the father was sent to an asylum in 1881 but after the census date.

I have found a family, all the same names,round about same ages but with the surname Pearson. That is Harriets maiden name.
    Are they using this name as John is in trouble with the law or is this one of the many straws that I clutch at.

Opinions welcome
    Regards
    Ann

so this is Arthur's birth registration from GRO Index

HABGOOD, ARTHUR LIONEL mmn PEARSON
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in BRADFORD YORKSHIRE Volume 09B Page 75

and their marriage ...... the Hannah seems to be a mistake by the transcriber. There are 2 Hannah Pearson marriages showing just above Harriet, so maybe a case of a "slipped line".

Marriages Dec 1876 (>99%)

HABGOOD John Arthur Leeds 9b 657
    PEARSON Hannah Leeds 9b 657
    PEARSON Harriet Leeds 9b 657

How many other children did they have?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Just because I found it in searching, I presume though that you have this census??

1891 Census

Name: Arthur L Habgood
      Relationship: Stepson
      Birth Year: 1878
      Mother: Harriet Pickard
      Birth Place: Bradford, Yorkshire, England
      Civil Parish: Pannal
      Residence Place: Harrogate, Pannal, Yorkshire, England

William Pickard 36
      Harriet Pickard 37
      Arthur L Habgood 13
      George E Bowker 32
      Harriet A Bowker 38
      Muriel H Bowker 5
      Frederic G Bowker 3
      Dorothy I Bowker 1

Is this the 1881 Census that you found??

Name Age
      John Pearson 34 b.ca 1847, Manchester, Lancashire, Tailor's Salesman (unemployed)
      Harriet Pearson 28 b.ca 1853 Wakefield, Yorkshire
      Arthur L. Pearson 3

I think you could be correct!
      Last edited by Sylvia C; 13-06-18, 20:13.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Not what you requested, Ann, but I found this tree.....

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
        Jacky

Comment

Thank you everyone. Everything is right thar has been posted it is just the 1881 that I cannot find. I do think he was a bit dodgy but if I could confirm that it is them, calling themselves Pearson I would be laughing.
          I doubt if I can but everything fits even the job. No other children at this date with them
          Regards
          Ann

Comment

Ann

Remember that all census except 1911 are transcripts and therefore must contain mistakes made by the transcriber.I

Another scenario - I have an instance of a large family all being listed under the wife's maiden name. Absolutely no reason for this, respectable family not trying to hide anything. I worked out eventually that the enumerator had mistakenly used her maiden name because she and her family were all living in what had been her childhood home and the enumerator remembered that, but not her husband's name!

OC

Comment

Thank you OC. Yes I agree that there may be nothing sinister. It was just that he was in court soon after and then sent to a lunatic asylum. So sad
              Regards
              Ann

Comment

I assume you know all this but -

John Arthur Habgood died Sept 1882 Wakefield 9c 23 aged 34.

Likely marriage for Harriet Habgood March 1891 Hunslet 9b 386 to William Pickard (or George Harrison).

There isn't a likely birth for an Arthur L Pearson around 1877, so that census does look promising.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

A newspaper article for John A Habgood reporting on his Court attendance 1880 (FMP) gives address as 20 Chapel Street, Bradford
                  as on 1881 census for Pearson family

Vera

Comment

That's pretty compelling evidence that it's the same people then Vera
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Vera is it possible for you to send me a copy of the newspaper article as I do not have FMP. Never mind if you cant.
                      I am so thrilled with all your help everyone
                      Thank you
                      Ann

Comment

Yes will do. Please pm me your e.mail.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                        X