No announcement yet.

Help!!! Cordwainer mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a record of a Daniel b 1849 Bandon, Cork who m Mary Ann Welsh but whether he is the brother of your John cant say. John's records so far do not give a place of birth in Ireland. He says his father is Patrick but names first born Denis. The marriage cert of Daniel would confirm or otherwise that a Patrick was his father but still would not prove John to be his brother.

You need to keep whittling away at John. Irish names do change after baptism. My family Sarah to Nuala, Cornelius to Connor, Ellen to Eileen. There was another who ended up a Donal.
    I think John died 1908. Can't see him or Catherine in 1911. Glam FHS maybe able to help on likely burial places/records.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Lewissullivan View Post
      Also how did you track daniel down so far? Was he easy to locate.
      Found the most likely but not certain Daniel ie same dob, noted child Patrick, living in Pontypridd reg area.

That Daniel was easy to locate. With his family 1881 and 1891. Then left wife Mary Ann who lived with eldest son Patrick as head of family plus the other children. Daniel lived with daughter Mary. Not sure when he died but after 1911

Vera
      Last edited by vera2013; 13-06-18, 17:22.

Comment

I posted about the Glamorgan family history booklets in #53 and suggested that a library in Lew's area may have copies in their local history section.

I too am sceptical about some of the responses given in census.

Vera the Irish naming pattern was not always followed - my ancestor was the son of John, but no boys with the forename John in any line of his descendants. I agree it's a good guide though.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 13-06-18, 18:13.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It's a shame it's proving so difficult as it seems if my ancestor was daniel it would be easy haha.

Do you think this burial record is worth pursuing and what would be the best way to do it.

Comment

Jay
            That's interesting. Wonder if child Denis was just a favourite name or worth pursuing as a possible relative. My fil was a John, first b Denis after his father but Denis also k/a Fonnie ? Alphonsus.

Lew
            I think any possible record is worth pursuing but I would seek the advice from the organisations already suggested ie Library, Records Office, FHS.

Vera

Comment

John's possible uncle who lives in the same house as John in 1861 also has a son called Dennis so it could be a grandfather possibly ?

If i went to my local library what should I ask for? My grandfather also said in a few weeks we will take a trip together to st illtyds church where John and Catherine for married in Merthyr.

I still have a gt aunt from my grandfathers maternal side who lives in merthyr who might know alitlle about the Sullivan as her sister married my great grandfather. My grandad said she doesn't but it's worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewissullivan View Post
                John's possible uncle who lives in the same house as John in 1861 also has a son called Dennis so it could be a grandfather possibly ?
                That John was married to Bridget, whose maiden name was Hennessy.
                Can anyone find their marriage?

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 13-06-18, 19:43.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

i have also looked for Catherine death certificate and have come across two for merthyr but both have wrong birth dates. If i send for them what can i hope to reveal if they are correct?

Comment

There will be an address, age and cause of death and an informant, sometimes you glean info if there is a relationship of the informant, or it may say wife of. Just depends how much information the registrar recorded

Also, following on from Janet, I was looking at births last night so that Denis in the other household looks to be born Merthyr 1857 mother Henesy, think they could be in Wales 1851...Bridget as ? Biddy but there were so many names to unravel I wasn't sure but there is also a son Jeremiah but I couldn't find a baptism to try and pinpoint the marriage of his parents John and Bridget

What do you make of this 1851?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Lots of people so....

Cornelius O'Brien married Honora Burke...family goes to America looking at various trees

October 1847 • Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales
                    Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, and St. Illtyd's Dowlais, Wales

John Sullivan Lodger 30 Ireland
                    Beddy Sullivan Lodgers 32 Ireland
                    Timothy Sullivan Lodger 6 Ireland
                    Jeremiah Sullivan Lodger 3 Ireland
                    Last edited by Elaine; 13-06-18, 20:56.
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I can't thank everyone on this forum enough for helping me and my grandad in our search for our ancestors. Im 19 now and have been looking since about the age of 16 and my grandfather for much longer. I recall him saying he used to walk to birmingham library from his house which is easily and hour walk after work in the 80s trying to crack it. (Shows how useful he is at research ) haha.

You have all added to our knowledge significantly.

I just hope we eventually find our man

Lew.

Comment

Just adding this as it is the right marriage

BRYAN, DANIEL BURKE
                        GRO Reference: 1849 J Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL Volume 26 Page 493

but not going to help as a tree online doesn't have any Sullivan's on their marriage cert...reg. office

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          That John was married to Bridget, whose maiden name was Hennessy.
                          Can anyone find their marriage?

Jay
                          Can't see the marriage but there is a baptism for

Timy Sullivan 13/11/1844 Dunmanway, Cork and Ross RD

Father John Sulivan
                          Mother Bridget Hennessy

Vera

Comment

Here's the original

Sponsers are John Brian and Mary Henessy

Cornelius drops the 'O' when he married, I didn't note it when I listed the birth of his son
                            Elaine

Comment

Who is Cornelius I'm slightly lost.

Comment

This could be Jeremiah

Jeremiah Sullivan bap 21/02/1848
                                Upper Abby
                                Parish of Lislee, Abbymahon and Donoughmore
                                Cork and Rose

Father John Sullivan
                                Mother Bridget Hennessy

Lislee 10 miles from Bandon

Vera

Comment

He is in the household I posted #69

1851 poss John Sullivan from next door to your John in 1861

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                    Can't see the marriage but there is a baptism for

Timy Sullivan 13/11/1844 Dunmanway, Cork and Ross RD

Father John Sulivan
                                    Mother Bridget Hennessy

Vera
                                    Think it translates to John and Bridget
                                    Marriage
                                    1843 Trimoleague, Abbeymahon and Lislee, Cork and Ross RC

Joannem Sullivan
                                    Brigadam Hennessy

Witnesses Laurento Cleary
                                    Mariam Hennessy

Vera
                                    Last edited by vera2013; 13-06-18, 22:37.

Comment

Oh I get you, that marriage sounds promising however how will this help me with my John and Patrick ?

Comment

When I posted about you trying to view the Glamorgan family history society publications in the local history section of a library near you, I had thought that you lived in Wales, in your area of interest.

A later post suggests that that is incorrect and that you are nearer to the Midlands. In that case, the local history section of a library near you would not stock info on the Merthyr area. I'm very sorry to have given you mis-information.
                                        (Years ago, there used to be a thing called library inter loan service - your local branch could contact other libraries nationwide and request books which were posted on to your local library, for you to borrow. However, with all the many re-organisations and financial cuts to the library services, I think that if the service still operates, there will be a charge, which may be quite expensive. I n which case, you would have to balance this against the cost of buying the publication.)

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

No worries Jay, like I said me and my grandad are planning a trip down to the merthyr area anyway so we will stop at a library on the trip see what we can find.
                                          My grandads brother lived in Merthyr for alot of his life but with the maternal side of the family so he has little information.

Comment

Working...
                                          X