Mode of transport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mode of transport?

I am wondering how my gr gr grandparents would have been transported from Dorset to Lancashire? They were part of the agricultural migration workforce in the early 1870's.
    What mode of transport would have taken them, and how long would it have taken them to get to north Lancashire?
    Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 09-06-18, 10:08.
    Twiglet

Train, probably. Train travel was cheap by the 1870s. It probably took as long then as it does now, so about 8 hours depending on where they actually got on and off the train.

OC

Comment

Probably via Birmingham rather than London, but with several changes of train (useful for toilet stops!).
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks OC and Uncle John. I was wondering if they travelled by a drafty coach, as the poor woan died shortly after reaching Lancashire.
        Twiglet

Comment

If they were really poor, they might well have walked much of the distance.

Coaches were not really part of the transport system by the 1870s, replaced by the train.

It might well have taken longer than 8 hours though ......... the trains were slower than I remember trains being, although the last time we rode UK trains was in the 1990s.

I have ancestors who moved from Buckinghamshire to work in the cotton mills in Lancashire. They seem to have gone by train, but it also seems some other people from the same village travelled by wagon ...... someone arranged a farm wagon type of transport. That would have been really slow as the horses would have had to rest.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Earlier on a lot of the agricultural workers that settled in cities travelled by the canals. I would imagine that is how my ancestors travelled from rural Wiltshire to Lancashire in the 1820s.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              Earlier on a lot of the agricultural workers that settled in cities travelled by the canals. I would imagine that is how my ancestors travelled from rural Wiltshire to Lancashire in the 1820s.
              I think that often happened following a recruitment campaign. Representatives toured rural areas offering labouring jobs in cities and any "takers" were offered almost immediate transportation for themselves and their families.
              I understand that canal transportation for labourers fell away following the rapid rise of a nationwide railway system. Practically every village in the land had a small station within a less than ten mile walking distance.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 10-06-18, 19:43.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I seem to remember a discussion about farm labourers in Norfolk having their transport paid for by the parish to work in Lancashire cotton mills. This got them off the parish relief "books".
                Last edited by Uncle John; 15-06-18, 10:08.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John

I remember one of the earlier 'Who do you think you are?' episodes where the family moved from either Norfolk or Suffolk and were transported by Canal, paid for by the parish. I don't think they had any choice. It was moving or losing their parish relief.
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Almost 20 years ago I was lent a slim history of the small village in Buckinghamshire where most of my father's ancestors lived and the move to the cotton mills in Oldham, Lancashire.

The full details now escape me, but basically a large number of the villagers moved to Oldham over a period of about 10 years. Of course, being a small village, almost everyone was related to some degree.

What seemed to happen there was that one or two families went to Oldham, maybe recruited there, they sent word back of how much they were earning, so more and more followed them. In some cases, family members sent money home to allow siblings or other relatives follow them.

They apparently held reunion days in Oldham during the summer on several occasions in the 1890s and early 1900s.

It was weird to find one of my gr grandfather's sisters living on a street in Oldham in the 1891 Census almost directly across the street from where my first cousin lived from the late 1950s to the mid-2000s. My cousin would have had the same relationship to that woman as I have.
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                    X