brick wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brick wall

I am looking at one of my brick walls well in fact most of the afternoon and I am not having any luck.

I am looking for my Uncles wife you would think with a name like Minnie Amelia Emma Southgate she would be easy to find. I have the marriage certificate they married (Ernest Richard Cox) in 1937 in District of Shoreditch, she states her father is George William Southgate Deceased, Labourer. Witness name's do not help, one is another uncle of mine and another is a George Watson, I have found Minnie living with George's family on the Electoral roll it looks like he was a neighbour. I know they moved to Northampton they lived there until they died.

On the death details it states Minnie's DOB is 4 Oct 1908 and Ernie's is 18 Oct 1906, it was these dates I thought would help me find them on the 1939 register but no luck there.

I would love to find her birth Certificate but had no luck finding her registered details. I have worked on the assumption that she has lied about her status as a spinster on the MC, and looked for a previous marriage for her, but no luck there. I searched using just her christian names a few came up and I looked at those but they did not work.

Can anyone think of anything I have not done to enable me to find her birth certificate?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    GWEN

55 Buckland Road , Leyton M.B., Essex, England
    Ernest R Cox 18 Oct 1906 Male Furniture Polisher Married
    Amelia E Cox 04 Oct 1908 Female Fancy Leather Goods Married
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks for that I did not think to look in Essex! I am just starting to look again to see if I can find her birth I don't want to give in lol.
      GWEN

Comment

I was going to suggest that you try different combinations of the various forenames you have for her, during her life.
        When I began this lark over 30 years ago, I naively thought that everything "written down" in authorised records would be "right." I could never find a birth or marriage registration for great aunt May. When I eventually got to read 1891 census, I discovered that she was named Sarah Ann, after her mother, but obviously was referred to in the family as "May" (the month of her birth) to distinguish her from her mother. She married as Sarah May, was known to her husband and children as May and was buried as plain May.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

There is a Minnie Amelia E DOWSETT birth registered in Shoreditch in Q4 1908 - she might be worth investigating to see if there was a remarriage of her mother, adoption or a name change at some point ?
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
            There is a Minnie Amelia E DOWSETT birth registered in Shoreditch in Q4 1908 - she might be worth investigating to see if there was a remarriage of her mother, adoption or a name change at some point ?
            Looking at theGRO entry the E does stand for Emma. Mother's maiden name was Cotterill
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith and Antony I have been looking into the Dowsett/Cotterill record but was not sure, but it is the right Q. I am not sure how find out if there was a changed of name or adoption. I keep getting drawn back to this, there is no marraige for the two surnames that I could find. I did find another but when I looked on the GRO records the E was for Elizabeth. Actually as I write this my mind is going into search mode and just had another thought I did not look for Cotterill/Southgate marriage, away to do that now.

Thank you for your help.
              GWEN

Comment

DOWSETT, MINNIE AMELIA EMMA mmn COTTERILL
                GRO Reference: 1908 D Quarter in POPLAR Volume 01C Page 480
                Kat

Comment

I just came back to say the same as Anthony and Judith I did find a possible marriage - but haven't found them together yet -
                  Marriages Mar 1896
                  Childs Frederick William Poplar 1c 666
                  Cotterrill Lucy Poplar 1c 666
                  DOWSETT George William Poplar 1c 666

Eidelman Hyman Mile End 1c 666
                  Taylor Maud Poplar 1c 666
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-05-18, 09:51.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There are so many different mis-spellings of Cotterill that it's proving difficult
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Again I was looking at that marraige yesterday but still not sure what is going on. I keep thinking the Dowsett birth must be her, but still trying to figure out where the Southgate comes in. The other reason the birth record may be her she names her father as George William on her MC but the surname is Southgate not Dowsett. Again a coincidence!
                      GWEN

Comment

1911 possible?
                        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

George Dowsett 30
                        Minnie Dowsett 25
                        George Dowsett 4
                        Minnie Dowsett 2

DOWSETT, GEORGE WILLIAM mmn COTTERILL
                        GRO Reference: 1906 S Quarter in POPLAR Volume 01C Page 559
                        Kat

Comment

Get the birth certificate and see if the date of birth matches the other records you have
                          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

If you mutter Southgate and Dowsett, they are not dissimilar!

OC

Comment

I don't believe this but just started to look for a Lucy Dowsett on the 1939 register and as I am going through them I spotted a Mary L Dowsett (Watson) in the list, Watson is the surname of the Witness on the MC, so looked to see if there is a George Watson name included in the register and bingo there is. The list of names on the Register tie in with the list of names on the 1933 Electoral roll for 94 Scawfell St Hackney. Minnie was living with the Watson family at that address before she married. I am convinced this is the right one all I need to work out is why Southgate?

Mary L Dowsett (Watson) 04 Apr 1908 Female Unpaid Domestic Single 58 7
                              William G Watson 04 Jul 1873 Male Carman Heavy Worker Widowed 58 1
                              Rosetta Watson 15 Nov 1894 Female Bank Note Examiner Printing Works Bank Of Employee Single 58 2
                              Jane M A Watson 06 May 1896 Female Bank Note Examiner Printing Works Bank Of Employee Single 58 3
                              George F Watson 29 Dec 1899 Male Buyer Of Cinema Circuit Single 58 4
                              Alfred G Watson 29 Nov 1901 Male Brewers Drayman Heavy Worker Single 58 5
                              Lilian M Watson 16 Sep 1905 Female Income Tax Collectors Clerk Single 58 6
                              Florence R Mann (Watson) 14 Dec 1914 Female Hairdresser Ladies Single 58 8
                              Daisy L Taplin 01 Jul 1892 Female Bank Note Examiner Bank Of England Single 58 9
                              Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 24-05-18, 10:34.
                              GWEN

Comment

In view of the 1939 record I just found I think I will now send for the BC for Minnie Amelia E Dowsett, it must be the right one. I just remembered I was doing the ironing best dash to switch it off this is more important LOL.
                                Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 24-05-18, 10:43.
                                GWEN

Comment

This is interesting - found a family tree on Ancestry for George Dowsett, married to Minnie, daughter Minnie. According to this tree (which I have not yet checked) Minnie's mother's maiden name was Southgate and she was born Minnie Dowsett (?)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...95972735/facts
                                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

This is a possible marriage:
                                    Marriages Dec 1874
                                    Timothy Dowsett to Hannah Southgate W. Ham 4a 59
                                    Kat

Comment

Something else to think about been ironing now its all done going to spend the afternoon unraveling this family if I can! Not sure if the tree on Ancestry is the right one going to check it out and see where the Watson Family who she lived with fitted in.
                                      GWEN

Comment

I am so confused and torn to what direction to go in.
                                        GWEN

Comment

Working...
                                        X