brick wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
    This is interesting - found a family tree on Ancestry for George Dowsett, married to Minnie, daughter Minnie. According to this tree (which I have not yet checked) Minnie's mother's maiden name was Southgate and she was born Minnie Dowsett (?)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...95972735/facts
    I think this is a red herring - the Minnie daughter of Timothy and Hannah was Isabella Minnie and she married David Valintine in 1909 and died in Essex in 1935. Just one of the random coincidences that pop up.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

This tree seems to be for the correct Dowsett family - George William is an ex-soldier (as stated on his marriage cert) and it appears he died in 1912. Lucy was then in and out of the Workhouse until she died in 1925. There is a Chelsea Pensioner discharge record for George, but I can't see what it is as I don't have Fold3.

Additionally, George and Lucy had another daughter, Annie Elizabeth - GRO entry: DOWSETT, ANNIE ELIZABETH mmn COTTERILL
      GRO Reference: 1911 J Quarter in POPLAR Volume 01C Page 496.

Haven't yet found out what happened to her.
      Last edited by ozgirl; 24-05-18, 16:52.
      Linda

Comment

I cannot find Lucy and George on census returns and have you found them in parish records? thanks for your help.
        GWEN

Comment

Got to admit, it was the only family I went looking for last night and had the same problem finding them and being sure enough to post.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
            I am looking at one of my brick walls well in fact most of the afternoon and I am not having any luck.

I am looking for my Uncles wife you would think with a name like Minnie Amelia Emma Southgate she would be easy to find. I have the marriage certificate they married (Ernest Richard Cox) in 1937 in District of Shoreditch, she states her father is George William Southgate Deceased, Labourer. Witness name's do not help, one is another uncle of mine and another is a George Watson, I have found Minnie living with George's family on the Electoral roll it looks like he was a neighbour. I know they moved to Northampton they lived there until they died.
            Gwen. What year and where were they living on the E R ? edit: sorry found that - must have missed it - 1933 Electoral roll for 94 Scawfell St Hackney.

What was Minnie's address on her marriage cert?
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 24-05-18, 21:36.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Minnie is on the 1939 register as Amielia E Cox right birth date that you have from her death living in Leyton Essex.Written in pencil above this name is Minnie A.For some reason her husbands record is closed.

Comment

After much searching and head scratching Gwen I think the only way to go next is that birth cert. It will give you the actual birth date, and then you will have a better idea whether you are on the right track or not.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by niftynannie View Post
                  Minnie is on the 1939 register as Amielia E Cox right birth date that you have from her death living in Leyton Essex.Written in pencil above this name is Minnie A.For some reason her husbands record is closed.
                  It's open on fmp Sue, see post #2

This really is a puzzle. I can only suggest as others have that you get the birth cert - it seems the only way forward. Don't forget you can order that for £6 from GRO as a pdf download now.
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-05-18, 11:22.
                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    Gwen. What year and where were they living on the E R ? edit: sorry found that - must have missed it - 1933 Electoral roll for 94 Scawfell St Hackney.

What was Minnie's address on her marriage cert?
                    Yes that is Minnie and is living at the same address that is on her marriage certificate with the Watson Family and I have been looking into the connection with that family.
                    GWEN

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has helped me find my Aunt I think we are on the right lines. I did mention in other comments that Minnie was living with the Watson Family as I found her on the Electoral Rolls plus George Watson was a witness at her marraige. I am trying to find the connection between the two families in the mean time I am going to order the BC for Minnie Amelia Emma Dowsett. I did not realise you can download a BC now not sent for any in ages.

Thank you all again for your help
                      GWEN

Comment

I think this is the right marriage for William

Name: William Watson
                        Marriage Age: 24
                        Marriage Date: 5 Aug 1895
                        Marriage Place: St Philip, Stepney, Tower Hamlets, England
                        Father: George Frederick Watson
                        Spouse: Jane Elizabeth Flinn

GRO Births
                        WATSON, JANE MARY ANN FLINN
                        GRO Reference: 1896 J Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN Volume 01C Page 552
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                          This tree seems to be for the correct Dowsett family - George William is an ex-soldier (as stated on his marriage cert) and it appears he died in 1912. Lucy was then in and out of the Workhouse until she died in 1925. There is a Chelsea Pensioner discharge record for George, but I can't see what it is as I don't have Fold3.

Apologies, just realised I put in the wrong link - this is the correct one. Additionally Fold3 is free until the end of today so you can have a look at George's Chelsea Pensioner record - he was not terribly healthy.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...=successSource
                          Linda

Comment

All I get is: You need a Premium Membership to view this image. :( Then have to sign up using a card for 7 day free trial.
                            Does it give any useful info in helping to solve this mystery Linda?
                            Kat

Comment

It won't let me look Linda without a subscription to Fold.

Snap Kat
                              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 26-05-18, 10:17.

Comment

Have we actually found anything yet (apart from the address and the signature on cert) that connects the Watson family to Minnie? Also, have we found out yet why she gave her surname as Southgate?

Comment

It's really odd isn't it. She is with the Watsons on all ER's 1933 to her marriage 1937 as Southgate.
                                  Kat

Comment

Strange, when I link through when I click on the picture it comes up. Not much info regarding family, confirms father as nok, Stephen Dowsett. There is no mention of his marriage to Lucy, even though he was in the army until 1898 and he married her in 1896. He was sent to India in 1897, and admitted to hospital with secondary syphilis. He then developed severe conjunctivitis and rheumatism and was deemed unfit to serve in India so was shipped back home. It was agreed he be sent back to England in Feb 1898. In June 1898 he was discharged as his vision was severely affected. He was also anaemic and debilitated. According to the medical officer his illness was not caused by climate, military service, epidemic or endemic causes, and not aggravated by intemperance or other vice or by misconduct.

link to the Chelsea papers - does this work:

https://www.fold3.com/image/587492653?xid=1022
                                    Linda

Comment

No LOL!

His discharge papers are on fmp.
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 26-05-18, 11:25.
                                      Kat

Comment

how about this?

https://www.fold3.com/search#query=george+wm+dowsett
                                        Linda

Comment

Forgot the url:
                                          Service record https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...97/2694/146629

Edit:
                                          cannot open it Linda but the fmp one has the same medical detail and father's name as NOK
                                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 26-05-18, 11:47.
                                          Kat

Comment

Working...
                                          X