Transfer ownership of Ancestry tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer ownership of Ancestry tree?

I think the answer to this is probably no, but just in case somebody knows how to do so...
    A friend has editing rights to a tree I started on her behalf, but I'd now like to hand it over to her so she is the tree owner. Is this possible and if so, how?
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

You would need to download the gedcom to yourself then email it to her so she can upload it to her Ancestry or other programme.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
      You would need to download the gedcom to yourself then email it to her so she can upload it to her Ancestry or other programme.
      But that wouldn't include all the ancestry sources or stuff in the media gallery, would it?
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

All the sources would be there on the gedcom. When you upload it again to friend's ancestry she should still be able to view the Ancestry census images etc. Assuming she has a sub. You would have to download the media images that you uploaded from elsewhere separately.

Edit: Even without a sub she would be able to view the tree and add to it by uploading information from other sources.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-05-18, 17:55.
        Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          All the sources would be there on the gedcom. When you upload it again to friend's ancestry she should still be able to view the Ancestry census images etc. Assuming she has a sub. You would have to download the media images that you uploaded from elsewhere separately.

Edit: Even without a sub she would be able to view the tree and add to it by uploading information from other sources.
          I've also added loads of weblinks as sources, cut and pasted eg extended newspaper obituaries into the comments section on Ancestry - would they also be included in a gedcom upload?

Christine
          Researching:

Comment

It will save the notes and comments but I'm not sure about the web links but suspect they are not saved.

The only thing I can suggest is that you download the gedcom but saving it with another name BUT don't delete the tree yet from Ancestry. Upload the gedcom back into ancestry. You can then see what hasn't been saved in the gedcom. You can then delete this trial tree from Ancestry.
            Kat

Comment

Why not give them a ring. It seems a perfectly reasonable request to me.
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Why not give them a ring. It seems a perfectly reasonable request to me.
                Anne
                Perfectly reasonable to me, too.
                Since I first posted, I googled for possible solutions. There are lots of threads out there dating back years, asking the same question and expressing the hope that ancestry would enhance their service by offering it as an option. A forlorn hope as it turns out. Several threads I looked at included responses from ancestry representatives saying transfer of ownership is not possible.
                All sorts of convoluted workrounds suggested by posters including the gedcom option suggested by Katarzyna. None, however, that would do the job as cleanly and efficiently as a simple transfer of ownership.

I am going to leave things as they are, with friend having editing rights. It just means any invitations she would like to issue to view the tree will have to go through me as the owner, which is annoying when I want to step away.
                It also begs the question of what happens to my various trees when I shuffle off this mortal coil. Anyone who's interested will have to log in as me in perpetuity! An immortality of sorts I suppose...

Christine

PS straight from the horse's mouth:https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/art...-a-Family-Tree
                I was going to email a question about "leaving" the tree to someone when I pop my clogs but nothing happens when I click the green contact us button! (Using iPad)
                Last edited by Karamazov; 10-05-18, 21:24.
                Researching:

Comment

Working...
                X