Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the 1939 register:
    My aunt, a cook, lived - The Hall , Deben R.D., Suffolk, England
    My grandfather lived - Tower House Tuddenham Lane , Deben R.D., Suffolk, England

Without the map supplied by FMP which pinpoints the address I would have no idea where they were living.
    The Hall is at Alderton and The Tower at Tuddenham - 13 miles apart.

This could be a problem for Ancestry users pinpointing an address within a Rural District Council as the villages are not named within the Transcript Book. Only the RD and ED numbers are given.

Pity there weren't any Post Codes back then
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
      It remains to be seen however whether Ancestry update their index annually, as FMP do to include persons reaching the 100-year rule. If Ancestry haven't had access to the (currently) redacted data then it is hard to see how they will be able to do this.
      I had been wondering about the records which had been unredacted by FMP where people had sent in the death certificates. Was this done centrally or just on their own indexes? I have only just thunk it, so will investigate ..... if I had actually got round to sending in my mother's I would be able to answer the question. Perhaps other members will be able to tell?
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Caroline - I think that if you have sent in death certs to FMP then the fact that the individual is deceased (and hence can be un-redacted even if their birth was less than 100 years ago) must be recorded centrally (i.e. with TNA). I did this for both of my parents, both of whom died in the past couple of years, and both less than 100 years old. They both appear in the new Ancestry index and are unredacted from the Ancestry images, just as they are on FMP. The question remains whether Ancestry will continue to update this info, or whether their index and images will be "frozen" in their current state.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
          Hi Caroline - I think that if you have sent in death certs to FMP then the fact that the individual is deceased (and hence can be un-redacted even if their birth was less than 100 years ago) must be recorded centrally (i.e. with TNA). I did this for both of my parents, both of whom died in the past couple of years, and both less than 100 years old. They both appear in the new Ancestry index and are unredacted from the Ancestry images, just as they are on FMP. The question remains whether Ancestry will continue to update this info, or whether their index and images will be "frozen" in their current state.
          That was a quick answer! I hoped it would all be centrally recorded. I have recently got hold of my mother's certificate from my father's papers so can send that in then. Then maybe we will have that answer too.
          Caroline
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Announced on Twitter:

It's here! Start exploring the 1939 Register today on Ancestry: https://ancstry.me/2HZWk09

Enjoy free access until Sunday 13th May. #1939Register#FamilyHistory#Ancestry
            Caroline

Comment

Fantastic news I wish I had known before I paid for a years subscription to FMP just for the 1939 register.
              I have had a search and found a mis-transcription of birth date, but it's so easy to just add the correction. Then when I went to add it to my tree it was showing the matching date that I had added.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Official email from ancestry arrived this morning.

Comment

Oh wow......I always wanted to know where my Dad went to when he was orphaned, family always said he went to live in a big house but I could never find this info. Some kind soul had a look on the 1939 and said it looked like he was with his aunt in Warwickshire but the record was closed..........its been opened on Ancestry and there he is!!! Happy Days

Thanks for the link, Caroline.
                  Jacky

Comment

So disappointed!!

I already have an ancestry subscription and just a week ago took out a FMP subscription specifically for the 1939 register!! £120 is a lot to waste when a week later I could get the same info!!
                    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                      So disappointed!!

I already have an ancestry subscription and just a week ago took out a FMP subscription specifically for the 1939 register!! £120 is a lot to waste when a week later I could get the same info!!
                      Similarly, I had only just taken out a year's sub to the British Newspapers when FMP added them to the sub I already had .. at least you can get all the records which Ancestry don't have AND the newspapers! :D The Newspaper sub is £80 alone.
                      Caroline

Comment

Paul ring them and ask if they can refund it? as its only a week or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                          Announced on Twitter:

It's here! Start exploring the 1939 Register today on Ancestry: https://ancstry.me/2HZWk09

Enjoy free access until Sunday 13th May. #1939Register#FamilyHistory#Ancestry
                          Article from WDYTYA magazine newsletter

May be of interest: Unlike Findmypast's version, the index includes information from Column 5 of the original form, which marks individuals who were resident in hospitals, asylums or prisons with the letters O, V, S, P and I, standing for Officer, Visitor, Servant, Patient or Inmate.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                            If you are a Findmypast subscriber you can send an image of the Death Certificate (DC) to them and they will open the record free of charge if not you can send a copy of the DC to the National Archives with a fee of £23.35 and they will open the record.
                            Cheers
                            Guy
                            I I know that, as can be seen in my comments! Richard answered my musing. I am not sure what the image was you were trying to post, but I had to remove it as only the person who uploads it can repair it..
                            Caroline

Comment

Well, I'm quite impressed that I am straight away getting hints for the 1939 Register for people who I have already noted as being on it! Have yet to find out if those I have not already researched will come up as a hint.
                              Anne

Comment

is it just me but when I click on view the page never opens, Its happened on a few now.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                  So disappointed!!

maybe you could cancel the sub? I find FMP very difficult to navigate.
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I never met my granddad but knew his name was Herbert Henry... when looking on the register I saw that he had transposed it to Henry Herbert!.. and two entries had been redacted, not sure how I go about getting those changed as all of my Granddads children are no longer alive.
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                                      If you are a Findmypast subscriber you can send an image of the Death Certificate (DC) to them and they will open the record free of charge if not you can send a copy of the DC to the National Archives with a fee of £23.35 and they will open the record.
                                      Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      I never met my granddad but knew his name was Herbert Henry... when looking on the register I saw that he had transposed it to Henry Herbert!.. and two entries had been redacted, not sure how I go about getting those changed as all of my Granddads children are no longer alive.
                                      Guy has posted the information earlier. You will need death certificates and either pay extra or subscribers to FMP can do it for free. They (FMP) do say that there is a limit to how many you can do through them which seems fair enough.

At the outbreak of World War II, the government urgently needed to know everything it could about the civil population of England and Wales. This info...

At the outbreak of World War II, the government urgently needed to know everything it could about the civil population of England and Wales. This info...

UPDATE: I forgot this link - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...OI1939Register
                                      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                        Guy has posted the information earlier. You will need death certificates and either pay extra or subscribers to FMP can do it for free. They (FMP) do say that there is a limit to how many you can do through them which seems fair enough.

UPDATE: I forgot this link - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...OI1939Register
                                        Thanks Guy and Caroline.
                                        Julie

Comment

Funny you say that Julie, I find FMP much easier than Ancestry now, when I think of how bad it went, and all the complaints, yet now I love it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X