Ancestry hints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry hints

Really over the useless hints ancestry gives you.

Likes suggesting births for someone a century after they died. Or english census records for people who died in the 18th century. And deaths of people that aren't even the same names.

And matching trees where all the family members are different? When i have parents, siblings, spouse and children....they "match" with families where none of the criteria matches at all, sometimes matching people who died in the 16-1700's with 1800's families?

When will they get this sorted? Ever?

They seem to have got worse for me lately, with hints for events decades after they were born or died. I got a bit excited about photo hints only to find someone had pictures of the county map for each of their ancestors that we share :(

Comment

ANd spurious coats of arms for my ag lab antecedents.

Comment

The trouble is that it's still a bit of a risk to ignore them, completely. There just might... might... be a nugget in amongst the dross.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, just might be! I have found a few and my usual reaction is to treat the hint with distain (like many of the others) but then I think ....... hang on, better look into this.

Bedfordshire Electoral Rolls are an example. There's hardly anything online anywhere for Bedfordshire so these are a great new resource. Interestingly the 'hint' is often for just one of a married couple for one year. When I look at them in the database the couple are together at one or more addresses, often matching the 1939 Register and their Probate record. The records go on for years so why is one random year offered as a hint?
          Anne

Comment

Occasionally they can be useful. But mostly it's american census for people who are firmly dead, well attested in english census, and with people whose names, ages and birthplaces don't remotely match.

Also matches for essex. It tells you there used to be a hint, but it's deleted. Why bother keeping it there?

You'd think with technology, they would be refinning this.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              Occasionally they can be useful. But mostly it's american census for people who are firmly dead, well attested in english census, and with people whose names, ages and birthplaces don't remotely match.

Also matches for essex. It tells you there used to be a hint, but it's deleted. Why bother keeping it there?

You'd think with technology, they would be refinning this.
              I wish!!

Just recently one of my supposed DNA matches came up with an ancestor Ryan with connection on my side to a Margaret Cummons and on the Ryan side to a Margaret Connolly. I can only assume the name Margaret and the same C 1800 plus County Tipperary were the only clues!! But on contact with the other person we found ourselves both completely mystified as the only connection we could find was the same county of Tipperary. So now I am left wondering if Ancestry DNA matches are of any use whatsoever?? The only real interesting one I found was mainly by accident where a Noble in Caulfield Australia is one of mine and he probably has answers to one of my mystery brick walls and I have a lot of information to give him, but despite my 2 e mails he will not answer me! Still I have gleaned enough info from his small tree to go and dig some more and find out the info myself, but he is missing out on all my English Research so that will have to be his loss!

Janet.
              Last edited by Janet; 24-04-18, 15:50.

Comment

Working...
              X